forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
brentrobbo
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Gig 1 Speed

I've just upgraded from M350 to Gig1 with Hub4 but speeds are poor and readings are strange:

PC linked by ethernet: Download 371.57, Upload 36.57

Ipad on wifi (close by): Download 352, Upload 36.6

Sam knows RealSpeed: Speed to Virgin Media Hub 4 358. Speed to Apple iPad 377

The last reading doesn't seem to make sense and the first reading - for ethernet linked PC - is way down on what I expected. Readings taken at 2250 as well.

Installation was what is recommended re sequencing of connections.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig 1 Speed

All I know about Gig1 is that it was designed to simultaneously service multiple devices with a high speed on each.

Would it be possible to do simultaneous SamKnows Real Speed tests on two or more devices and get a cumulative speed ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@brentrobbo the SamKnows Real speedtest does seem to throw up some oddball results, as you say it doesn't make any sense for the speed to the hub to be less than that received by a device downstream from the hub. There's quite a few posting from other members here showing similar results plus, to be fair, some showing perfectly reasonable and consistent values so who knows? One answer might be that the consistency of the build quality of the hubs might be a little, shall we say, off - but of course that's just speculation! Personally, I really wouldn't bother too much about it.

Now in terms of the actual speed you are getting, the first thing I'd do is check that the Hub4 actually has been provisioned for 1 Gig and isn't still stuck on 350 Mb/s (it'll be in the network configuration settings).

0 Kudos
brentrobbo
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@jem101 Thanks for responding. These are the configuration settings.  Am I right in thinking they are stuck on 350Mb/s? Configuration.png

0 Kudos
brentrobbo
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo  Thanks for responding. Unable to do simultaneous tests as one blocks out the other. Results on iphone and ipad are identical.

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Should not need multiple devices as the HUB 4 internal test is to the HUB4 not the PC so it should ideally be 1Gb/s every time even if the device cannot do that speed.

This is how bad that software is.

2020-08-25.png2020-08-28 (1).png

Annotation 2020-08-31 142250.png2020-08-24.png

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@brentrobbo yes, you are still on 350 which at least explains the speed measurements you are getting. Alas you'll need to call them and get it fixed.

John

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Should have posted (been asked to) Config his file (I missed that as very late and tired).

0 Kudos
brentrobbo
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I did post the Config - thanks for your help. I managed to speak to VM(!) and was told it was all set up yesterday. But it wasn’t!

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Hero
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Try re-booting the Hub, switch it off at the back of the Hub leave it for 30 secs then switch it on again allow it time to reboot, and check your speed config again

Sometimes that forces a new config to show.

0 Kudos