cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting less than 50% of advertised speed.

mhumphries42
Tuning in

When I had 100MB/s package for years I got 70-90MB/s, according to various speed tests (download rates taken at same time each morning with minimal traffic - ookla, google etc), which is fine. For the past few months, I have been upgraded to 200MB/s package, but I am still only getting 70-90MB/s On speed tests. I have tried rebooting the box, but it seems to be stuck at these speeds.

I have tried using the website to diagnose these issues, but despite living at the same address for 7 years, it seems to think that my address doesn't match my account, which is a load of rubbish,. Then it throws a Bad Error Request. So my faith in Virgin's ability to self-diagnose is hopeless.

Since I am about to leave the house on a business trip, I cannot sit in a phone queue for 45 minutes waiting for someone with no technical knowledge, reading a script to tell me to reboot my router and decide to replace it or send an engineer out.

I rarely have a problem with good Virgin Media service, but its ability to help existing customers has legendary levels of hopelessness. 

I was hoping to leave a support ticket of some kind, but nope. There doesn't seem to be any easily accessed support ticketing portal. I just have to use my mobile phone (no landline) to call up a number and lose the will to live.

Could someone advise me on what my options are, please? Is there any support portal I can leave a message for someone to take a look at, so I can avoid making that phone call? Ta.

My Broadband Ping - V-Broadband
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Your machine might have a 100Mbps Ethernet port or its network card is not configured for 1Gbps. Here is my PC's local area connection status.

Local area connection status.jpg

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

I am using Ethernet, so distance is not important. Even if it was, the distance is 3ft, so WiFi would be fine. 

I am using a smart hub. Which version I won't know. Hopefully the people that gave it to me might know. I know it's not a v1 as I used to have one of those a while back. 

cje85
Trouble shooter

90Mb is a common limit when your Ethernet cable (or device) only supports 100Mb. Can you confirm the cable is at least Cat 5E and the connected device supports gigabit Ethernet.

Your machine might have a 100Mbps Ethernet port or its network card is not configured for 1Gbps. Here is my PC's local area connection status.

Local area connection status.jpg

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hey there @mhumphries42, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the slow speeds occurring.
I have checked the system and cannot see anything affecting the services.

Can you run a wired speed check to your device whilst disconnecting all other devices (Wired / Wi-Fi) and let us know how that goes.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey there @mhumphries42, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the speed issue you've been having recently.
I am not able to find anything on the systems which is causing an issue with the connection but we will investigate this further.
I will send a private message - watch out for the purple envelope 🙂

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

Hi Roger 

Sorry for the late reply, I have been away for a bit. 

I was using an old USB 2.0 To Ethernet adapter that only supported 100mb/s. Silly me. I should have known better. Your reply made me look at the speed settings and never saw the 1GB/s setting. Then I slapped myself in realisation 

I got a new USB 3.0 adapter and now get 216mb/s yay. 

Boo to the phaseout of Ethernet ports on laptops. 

Thanks for your help. 

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey there @mhumphries42, thank you for the reply.

I'm happy to hear the issue has been resolved.

As always - reach out to us if you ever need anything 🙂

Take care.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team