Menu
Druw
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Getting 500mb on 1Gig. Can't test my speed on SamKnows

Hello,

I've been testing my speeds on speedtest.net since I upgraded and I'm only getting 500mb. I phoned the help support and I got told speedtest.net is not accurate so I have to use SamKnows.

When I try to test my seeds on SamKnows I get the message:

Please check your SamKnows enabled device is turned on and connected to the internet.

The support team told me SamKnows must be updating and I should wait 48 hours for it to start working. It's been at least a week now and I still get the same message.

Also I emailed SamKnows about my issue, who replied instantly, and they said they have had no problems with their web site and I need to contact Virgin to solve the issue. So now I'm stuck.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting 500mb on 1Gig. Can't test my speed on SamKnows

I take it you mean samknows/realspeed ?

Is the Hub 4 in Modem Mode with a router / mesh system sat behind the Hub 4 ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Druw
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes, samknows.com/realspeed, It says connecting then shows a Hub 4 image but It's hard to see the rest because it very quickly disconnect to show the offline error.

I am not in modem mode. I'm directly connected from the Hub 4 to my PC using the ethernet cable provided and connected to my mobile using the wifi. Both give me the same results on samknows.com/realspeed

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Try a different Cat 5E / 6 cable between the Hub and PC.

Then

Disconnect the phone from the Wi-Fi and let us know what you get then.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Druw
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Changed to another Cat 6 cable, all devices are disconnected from the wifi and I still get the same error on PC

I had to turn the power off the Hub 4 to get to the wires, so the hub 4 has been reset also.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Have a read of >> This Thread <<

It seems Sam Knows have a fix.

0 Kudos
Druw
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The fix on that post says they contacted samknows and they sorted it.

I've already contacted samknows about the issue and they said:

Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately, we are unable to assist you directly, because you are part of Virgin Media’s volunteer group.
Please can you contact the Virgin Media trial team at: trialsupport@virginmedia.co.uk
They will advise you further.

I sent my problem to that address on the 14th August and I've still had no reply. So I'm not even sure if its a valid address.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Using another device can you ping the PC over the LAN ?

0 Kudos
Druw
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I think that's going a little beyond my understanding of computers, sorry.

I only have mobile phones. I'm not sure how to ping the PC from a phone, or if that's even possible.

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Samsknows is glitchy at best, I posted this the other day (The left inbound side has absolutely nothing to do with PC/cables side this is from VM through their coax to the HUB4, I also believe the HUB4 can limit the right outbound side at times also).

Like so:

2020-08-25.png

2020-08-28 (1).png

A few seconds later.

Annotation 2020-08-28 011750.png

Annotation 2020-08-24 042819.png

0 Kudos