Menu
philipbroadhead
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Getting 250mb max on Virgin Gigabit

Hello all,

Recently upgraded to Gigabit from 350mb package and unfortunately i've not really reached anything close to that since!

I've just run a cable directly from the router (3rd party, but I was having the same issues with the Hub 4) to my PC and I've not seen speeds improve from using powerline as I was previously.

Is there anything I can do to speed it up?  Obviously would like to be hitting 1gig or somewhat close to that if i'm paying for it...

Cheers 🙂

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting 250mb max on Virgin Gigabit

What speed do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If the hub is in modem mode and you run https://samknows.com/realspeed/ what results do you get ?

Using power lines can be very hit and miss depending on the condition of the mains wiring.

What router are you running, are you running the hub 4 in router mode ?

One of the issues I see is the default Gigabit Ethernet has a potential frame throughput of 81000 per second and therefore a high throughput for actual data (about 118 MB/s), giving efficiency of 94%, or 940Mbps.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
philipbroadhead
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The hub is in modem mode currently, with a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 between it and myself.

Trying to run the samknows test with it in modem mode just says no router found.  Interestingly, when I had the Hub 4 in router mode and ran that test, I was getting the gigabit speed coming into the building!

I was using powerline adapters until this morning but now am running a cable directly from my Netgear router to my PC.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sam Knows Real Speed will only work to the VM Hub.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
philipbroadhead
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's what I thought but the bloke above said in modem mode so I gave it a try 😉

I've just connected a Windows laptop directly into the Netgear with a short cable and it's maxing out around 250mb.

Strangely, after the upgrade I was managing around 400-420 tops over powerline but that soon slowed down and never reached those heights again.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The idea behind the Hu4  and the Gigabit connection is to have multiple high speed connections from the Hub not just a single gigabit connection.

I have been trying to find an adaptor that will combine 4 ethernet inputs into 1 output but haven't had any joy up to now.

0 Kudos
philipbroadhead
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well!

Just put the Hub back in router mode, connected everything up to it and turned the Netgear off and, lo and behold, lovely gigabit speeds!

Fingers crossed they stay like that. 🙂

Thanks for the help guys.

0 Kudos