cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming impacted on VM - Not with SKY

ukcobra
Tuning in

With the upgrade to COD Season 4 and Rocket League I moved my CAT5e cable from my SKY Modem to the VM Modem, and last night I got issues in COD, Rocket League and Warcraft.

The BQM below shows exactly what happens when gaming. You can see around 9.30pm last night that my WOW was severley impacted, during a main boss fight. Both were significant impacts lasting 20 to 30 seconds.

ukcobra_0-1686909540367.png

You can see that the packet loss comes regualry around 9am and starts to decline around 5pm.

I am in the Reading, RG6 area. How do I get some help ? Ringing up is pointless, as all i get from Level 2, is we cannot see any issues.

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The first thing to try is to replace the old Cat5e cable with a new Cat6a one.  Old ones do fail and the 6a's are higher "specced" to prevent interference and crosstalk at the connectors.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks, the strange thing is, that the cables wont influence the data seen in the chart between 8am and 5pm, because the XBOX is off. The packet loss @10% affects my Teams calls and work during the day.

What the BGM chart is good at showing is that there are clearly something load related linked to the packet loss. I will swap the cables between the SKY router and the XBOX and the VM router and the XBOX. I do not expect the issue to follow the cable, I do suspect it is something more likely to be deep in the networking in the Data Centre, as I see the same spike/lags when gaming on my MAC and XBOX.

Comradebo
On our wavelength

Same issue happening with me. My bqm is hilarious. Can’t game at all have had to tether on streams. Have you posted your router stats yet?