Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

[GIG1] Bad wireless speeds

Hey guys, my wired speeds are fine. Getting 920-970mbps wired to my PC, but my wireless is not great at all. Sat next to the router I get 300-400mbps on my Galaxy S10+ that is WiFi 6 capable which I understand is more than enough for any task, buy why is it less than half? I then re-run a speed test downstairs and get like 180mbps. I've also read that the HUB 4 isn't WiFi 6 capable, which could be capping speeds to devices that are WiFi 6 to lower speeds? *shrug*. Can someone shed some light on the situation and if my current situation seems correct? I'm a complete rookie to this sort of thing, and completely understand that VM doesn't guarantee any wireless speeds at all. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: [GIG1] Bad wireless speeds

Your wireless speeds seem fine given its by the hub but if you think you can do better get your own router and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Wifi is as fast as the slowest device is capable of, and the distance the signal has to travel.

In this case it is the HUB 4 that is the weakest link.

Wifi 6 is still in the early stages of development, however in theory yes, if you get a Wifi 6 router and put the HUB 4 in modem mode you could get faster Wifi speeds.

Do you really need more than 180 - 200Mbps on a phone?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@carl_pearce wrote:

Do you really need more than 180 - 200Mbps on a phone?

Its like people want 1Gb in their hand.🤑

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

WIFI 6ax is final, my Intel card was Certed in Sep 2019, that is the BS excuse VM give in the HUB4 section of forum.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/Get-the-most-from-your-Gig1-service-and-Hub-4/ba-p...

You should be able to get more then that speed I can get 550Mb/s (sometimes as flaky since my 500Mb/s upgrade in speed tests via Wire or WIFI).

I have the HUB3 and it is only 80MHZ MAX but your HUB4 AFAIK is 160MHZ so you should be able to get far higher speed than me and see a LINK speed of around 1732.

Telling someone they do not need more than 200-300Mb/s to phone is not helping, I send large folders full of music from my PC to the phones SD card over LAN (WIFI) and I can tell you if the LINK speed is lower than 866 so for example 433 the actual transfer speed tanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@jhuk wrote:

WIFI 6ax is final, my Intel card was Certed in Sep 2019, that is the BS excuse VM give in the HUB4 section of forum.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/Get-the-most-from-your-Gig1-service-and-Hub-4/ba-p...

You should be able to get more then that speed I can get 550Mb/s (sometimes as flaky since my 500Mb/s upgrade in speed tests via Wire or WIFI).

I have the HUB3 and it is only 80MHZ MAX but your HUB4 AFAIK is 160MHZ so you should be able to get far higher speed than me and see a LINK speed of around 1732.

Telling someone they do not need more than 200-300Mb/s to phone is not helping, I send large folders full of music from my PC to the phones SD card over LAN (WIFI) and I can tell you if the LINK speed is lower than 866 so for example 433 the actual transfer speed tanks.

I wasn't telling, I was asking...

Just because you pay for gigabit doesn't mean you need the whole bandwidth for one device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Again you are making a statement, you may not need it but he may.

The fact remains his WIFI speeds seem lower than they should be and I know VM to not guarantee this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's not that I need gig speeds in my hand, or that 180-200 isn't good enough for my phone, it's that I didn't expect only 20% of the speed only a floor below me. I also use Deco M4 WiFi mesh system which gets the same result as the HUB 4, this post is help to understand why I'm only getting such low speeds and if it can be improved? That's why I asked about a WiFi 6 router, or even a WiFi 6 mesh system?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you want to go down route of buying a proper set up look at the Asus WIFI 6ax kits.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-ZenWiFi-Whole-Home-XT8-Life-Time/dp/B083QSG6QK/ref=pd_ybh_a_242?_encod...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's not that I need gig speeds in my hand, or that 180-200 isn't good enough for my phone, it's that I didn't expect only 20% of the speed only a floor below me. I also use Deco M4 WiFi mesh system which gets the same result as the HUB 4, this post is help to understand why I'm only getting such low speeds and if it can be improved? That's why I asked about a WiFi 6 router, or even a WiFi 6 mesh system?

There's Youtube videos showing Deco M4's topping out at around 450-700 Mbps: https://youtu.be/k3BX6vVr1Uk

So it seems that you may have a problem with the Hub 4's customer usable speeds, and in that respect yours is one of a number of similar posts.  If it's something about the Hub 4, then you might put a four hundred quid Asus Wifi 6 mesh into the equation and find you're still getting the same speed.  Note the point in the Youtube link, that for max speeds off the secondary node you need an ethernet backhaul to the primary.  My M4 is only on a 200 Mbps connection, and I get 170-200 Mbps off the secondary, although the primary is rock solid consistent at 220.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos