Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Full fibre ?

A company is digging up pavements locally to install its ‘full fibre’ network with up to a gigabit speed.  This network has no copper cable in the distribution between the exchange and home.  I currently have 350k Virgin Media broadband which I understood to be fibre, but sounds like not completely.  Anyone know what part of my current provision is and is not fibre, and whether VM will be able to take advantage of the new network ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Full fibre ?

Virgin Media have their own network. In some places this a 'Hybrid Fibre Coax' network and in others it's a full fibre network. Currently Virgin Media offer the same services over both types of their network - including 1Gbps in selected cities.

If you already have Virgin Media and want 1Gbps you'll have to patient as Virgin Media are working through network upgrades - https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/gig1-gigabit-broadband

For customers who already can get 1Gbps in their area, it doesn't mean a change to the physical cables to their home as the coax network can happily do it once the other upgrades are done.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are in an area that has had VM for some time, its HFC . Hybrid Fiber Coax

Newer areas are FTP

Either way you will be able to get Gigabit speeds downstream from VM soon- if its not already available to you.

There ARE rumours in the industry that VM are going back to using some 3rd party infrastructure in areas they have no coverage. As to which companies and where, anyone's guess ATM.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Kippies wrote:

There ARE rumours in the industry that VM are going back to using some 3rd party infrastructure in areas they have no coverage. As to which companies and where, anyone's guess ATM.

Well, not so much of a secret:

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-completes-network-exp...

😉

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A pity that Virgin Media don't have to provide third party access to their infrastructure, so that I could choose a different ISP!  Come on Openreach, I want FTTP!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

@Kippies wrote:

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-completes-network-exp...

Should anyone believe this? ...

Intelligent WiFi on the Hub 3 router is a smart system that adapts to the needs of the home and the devices that are connected to WiFi. It is made up of many features that work side-by-side to ensure that the best WiFi performance is being delivered.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the replies, some useful information there.  350k is fine ATM but its good to know network upgrades will bring 1Gbps in due course. In the meantime, it’ll be interesting to see what Cityfibre have to offer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

A pity that Virgin Media don't have to provide third party access to their infrastructure, so that I could choose a different ISP!  Come on Openreach, I want FTTP!

Infrastructure sharing at local level will never happen in areas that are HFC, as the alternate kit would have to go in at EVERY single street cabinet. These would have to double in size along with many ducting changes. Also providers would have to occupy space at Virgins headends as well as at local BT exchanges, duplicating infrastructure. Virgins FTTP only occupies 5 - 10% of the local network, & with HFC working well in tests up to 10Gbps I cant see the rest of it being upgraded anytime soon.

https://www.broadbandtechreport.com/docsis/headend-hub/article/16449662/growing-the-hfc-pipe-to-10-g... 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Vodafone via cityfibre is very cheap especially if your a mobile customer 

£30 for 1gig

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

@Kippies wrote:

😉

Thats sticking your cable through someone else's ducting (oooh err misus)

I was referring to the Liberty Fibre goings on. Looks to be shaping up as much of a partnership with Open reach  provider(s) as an exercise in accounting Ultimately, that could deliver VM "badged" FTTP where they have no footprint.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos