Menu
drbrainsol
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Frequent drops and terrible upload speed in AL1

Hi,

I was hoping I could get some help here as the VM phone support has been useless...

For the past week, I have been experiencing issues with my internet connection. I am on an M100 package and have been getting up to 90 MB/s download but, crucially, upload speeds as low as 60 kB/s - see snapshot below for the latest test results (this has been consistent all morning today).

VM Speedtest 20.01.2021.PNG

I have also setup a broadband quality monitor - Thinkbroadband BQM AL1 

The BQM suggests there is high utilization in the area. However, in this state, my broadband is unusable. 

Can anyone provide some help?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
mark_thompson
Joining in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frequent drops and terrible upload speed in AL1

I can't provide any help alas - but I can confirm this is definitely a problem in AL1. There are frequent drop outs during the day and ping times sometimes exceed 6000ms. I wish I could get 90 Mb/s download, I struggle to get above 30 Mb/s despite being on the M100 package.

The service status says there are no problems in the area and the status checker just goes around in a circle without doing anything. Can anyone at VM look into this please?

0 Kudos
drbrainsol
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Finally worked out how to share a live version of my BQM monitor - AL1 BQM Monitor LIVE 

Indeed, my problem is not the download speed but the frequent packet losses and the terrible upload. speed This affects VoIP calls, my work VPN connection drops very frequently and I end up not being able to do any work from home.

To clarify - the tests have all been done while I was off my company's VPN, using a wired connection (CAT5 Ethernet cable) between my computer and the Superhub 3.0.

I am computer literate and have done all other troubleshooting suggested by VM (checked all wired connections in my flat, reset the Superhub, tested the connection with all other devices disconnected and wi-fi turned off etc). I am also getting the same results when testing via my smartphone connected to wi-fi. It is definitely a VM problem.

@mark_thompson - indeed, friends who also live in AL1 have been complaining about VM being terrible in the past week. I would really like to know what is going on these issues were not apparent before Christmas.

0 Kudos
KevinLam
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Same with us. Also in AL1. Basic browsing or voice calls is simply impossible during office hours. Before 8 in the morning it is acceptable. This has been the case since the very beginning of January and thus far not a single serious attempt by VM to solve this.

0 Kudos
Richardr1
Dialled in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Same here - I'm in AL3, but close to the centre of St Albans. At 7:30am I get 110 download and 10 upload, then less than a couple of hours later the download is much reduced, albeit usable, but the upload is 0.1 or less, making it completely unusable. Didn't seem to happen last year at all, but has been happening the last couple of weeks.

0 Kudos
drbrainsol
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Guess we are all in the same boat. Our discussion should at least give VM a hint as to what is causing the issue - it must be related to a change they made to our local network either over Xmas 2020 or very early in January 2021.

I cannot believe that network congestion / over-subscription would have happened so abruptly.  

0 Kudos
drbrainsol
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Update - my broadband is still terrible. I would have expected at least some form of a response from VM on this matter but I guess it is too much to ask.

As a result...I have placed an order with another broadband provider and will be abandoning ship in a couple of weeks. Counting every day!

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@drbrainsol wrote:

Update - my broadband is still terrible. I would have expected at least some form of a response from VM on this matter but I guess it is too much to ask.

As a result...I have placed an order with another broadband provider and will be abandoning ship in a couple of weeks. Counting every day!

It can take a week or more for a response on here.

0 Kudos
TinyFish
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just chiming in to say also in AL1 and have been having issues for weeks. However it does to seem to have gotten far worse in the past week or so, and my upload speeds are making things unusable. No VM phone support and my previous thread on here has had no response from VM staff - hopefully they respond here with something useful (although I have my doubts!).

0 Kudos
drbrainsol
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Two weeks later, same issue. The service is pretty much unusable. It doesn't look like VM are going to fix this anytime soon. The network is completely overwhelmed by their customers working from home.

VM Speedtest 03.02.2021 1010.PNG

0 Kudos