Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Frequent drop outs causing high packet loss

VirginQuality.png

Hi. I've been having connection issues for a few weeks, with dropouts happening fairly frequently. I assumed this was initially just the service being over subscribed but it's happening at hours where I assumed most people are asleep? I've had the super hub changed just over a month ago but problems have persisted. The snapshot above was from yesterdays quality report.

The router is reporting lots of RCS Partial Service and SYNC Timing Synchronization failure.

Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frequent drop outs causing high packet loss

Your hub has an unstable connection, and is losing synchronisation with the CMTS in the street cabinet.  That could have a range of causes in terms of either noise, error or power level problems, but a fairly common cause is upstream noise, even though you're seeing the problems in terms of downstream.  Your options:

1) Wait for forum staff to pick this up and advise

2) Try VM's call back text service (but if its the offshore crew, they'll probably tell you to reboot your modem and that everything is fixed, but it won't be).

3) This suggestion won't fix it, but may help diagnosis, post here the contents of the tabs titled Downstream and Upstream from your hub's status page. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andruser.

Down.jpgUp.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Your upstream power levels look rather high to me, and that could explain what you're experiencing.  Hang on in here (might take a day or six) for VM staff to advise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I was lucky enough to get an engineer out today (i was pleasantly surprised). They changed the cable going from the super hub to the wall as they said it was looser, but since having that done, the issue has gotten worse 😅 hoping I can get another engineer to come to look at the issue soon 🤞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello petenics
Sorry to hear this is back to as it was
Regarding the engineer.
I have booked you in with the next available appointment.  Please find the appointment time slot via your online account. This can be cancelled and rearranged from there if needed.
Gareth_L