Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Free Broadband Upgrades

Hi Was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

I have been a virgin customer and have had numerious upgrades, from 50 to 100 and then from 100 to 200 and then i paid to go to the high speed. However due to unforseen circumstances (wife lost her job) I had to call virgin to have some of my services reduced.

As such we have had to go to bare minimum on our services and have the TV deactivated.

As such im wondering if there are any plans to offer free speed upgrades again. The only reason i stay with virgin is the broadband. Its never let me down and i would hope to stay with you after my contract ends.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Free Broadband Upgrades

For commercial reasons VM would never admit in advance (of any public launch) to plans for free speed upgrades, so you won't find out much here.  Looking at previous strategies they've adopted, the free upgrades seemed timed and scaled to create a clear speed difference between the VM band and the nearest relevant Openreach speed, and were broadly timed around the availability of VDSL and then VDSL2 technologies.

So I'd guess that until Openreach offer a low price FTTP product (or g.fast) then there's no reason for VM to offer existing customers higher speeds (and even then, BT domestic FTTP/g.fast offers seem to be around 300-330 Mbps, and VM have already upped their 300 band to 350-360).  Why would VM offer (say) all 200 Mbps connection customers a free upgrade to 350-360, when there's no worthwhile competition in that speed band, and whilst there's a tranche of VM customers willing to pay extra for a 350 Mbps line?

All a long winded way of saying "don't get your hopes up".  Eventually VM lines will ratchet upwards as technology improves and Openreach extend their FTTP scale, I just can't see it happening soon.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Free Broadband Upgrades

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Makes perfect sense. Its just a shame things happen the way they do. Im paying more for Virgin BB at these speeds that i would for Vodfone Broadband which is guarenteed 56mb in my area for half the price. But i do understand your comments and thank you for the information. Ill wait till April / May then when the price hike comes im most likely going to look at leaving. Prices for existing customers are not great and we are the ones paying for the new customers so ill leave and come back as a new customer in a few months to get the best deals.

Crazy old world this when you can shop around and get great deals as a new customer but steady customers get duped (or thats how it feels).

0 Kudos