Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Fluctuating upload speed in Orpington

Hi,

I have been experiencing the same issue now for several weeks (BR5 area). I am a streamer and I live stream content to YouTube, but recently I have not been able to stream due to my upload speeds being all over the place. It can go from 36mb/s to 3mb/s to 7mb/s to 5mb/s in the space of 4 seconds. It is never stable and this is causing me huge issues when I try to stream because I upload at 12mb/s and when it drops below this threshold the stream buffers and becomes pixelated and eventually stops. It is infuriating because this is my job and I have been unable to work because of it. I called customer service a couple of weeks ago and she simply said "we will fix it in two days". It shows there is no known issues in my area, but when I run a network test through the website it then says there is a network problem in the area, so which is it? 

I use a wired connection and have tried tethering my phones connection and that works fine, so the issue is with the internet connection to my home. I have never experienced problems like this before. I have reset my modem multiple times. 

I pay premium to have the best internet available and right now it is not worth having.

Please help! 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fluctuating upload speed in Orpington

The Covid-19 is stopping alot of people working. Look slike your are now one of them.

With 100% of the UK at home (working or off) the network will be under higher load. you might have to live with it until the UK gets things bak on track

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A very helpful reply, thank you. Still does not solve the vague network issue detected in my area. My download speed is faster than it has ever been (360mbps), there is clearly an issue with upload speeds right now and I would like assistance with this.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

the network has much less upload speed than download. its very possible for hte upload to be overused but not the download.

the network was designed with download in mind (old TV network) and with everyone now online and many more people using video chat/facetime etc its not surprising that the upload is suffering.

I still don't think you have a problem to fix. Its just usage from so many people being online.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I guess nobody sleeps anymore. I stream from 3am GMT. The problem persists 24/7. When I called customer service a couple of weeks ago they confirmed there was a problem in the area due to "interference" and would be fixed in 2 days. The problem is still here and I am looking for assistance and guidance by people in the community who may know about this kind of thing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

what you were told about "Interferance" was a lie to get you off the phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When running the test on their website it detects the same network issue "This issue is caused by interference on our network impacting multiple customers in your area."

Any knowledgeable people out there who have had the same issue?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

sounds like an SNR problem then. that can take ages to track down Its normal the fault of DIY cable jobs in someone's home.

with limited engineers, it will be even harder to fix

0 Kudos