Menu
Andrea_Hegarty
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Fluctuating speeds on 500mbps

Hi,

Recently we have upgraded the broadband package from 100mbps to the 500mbps package. Virgin have stated that we should get 500mbps and a few times our connection has shown this to be true. Virgin have also stated that our connection should not drop below 250mbps.

We are seeing massive fluctuations in speed across the whole network on wired and wireless connections. I was getting 100mbps constant upstairs on my high spec gaming PC however since the upgrade I am getting anywhere between 30 and 80mbps. Doing WiFi tests on my Samsung S8 will show on one test 350mbps then not long after 40mbps.

I have plugged my Mac straight into the router and i did get 500mbps but consistent testing sees the speeds drop off drastically.

I am not seeing any issues with my upload speed. That has been a constant 46mbps.

Setup:

• Virgin Hub 3  (Modem mode)
  • TP-Link Archer 2600 (Connected via brand new cat 6 cable)
  • 1 Outdoor grade Cat 6 link to upstairs room to TP-Link 8-port gigabit switch
    • Windows 10 PC with Gigabit network card (High Spec)
    • Mac 10.13 with network port
  • 1 Outdoor grade cat 6 link to downstairs room to TP-link 4-port gigabit switch
    • Tivo Box
    • Windows Laptop
  • Various Phones and Laptops connected via 2G and 5G WiFi

Steps taken:

• Virgin Hub 3 has been restarted and reset to factory settings and changed back and forth from modem mode
  • TP-Link Archer 2600 has been restarted and powered off and reset
  • All cables have been changed to new Cat 6 cables and these have been removed and re-seated.
  • Switches have been powered off and back on

Issues:

• Windows PC upstairs speeds running at between 20 and 90mbps
  • Mac upstairs running at 40 mbps
  • WiFi speeds on different phones running between 40 and 350mbps
  • Windows Laptop hit 500mbps but is now not hitting those speeds

I have set up a broadband quality monitor and this is a screenshot from the last day:

Andrea_Hegarty_0-1601077692368.png

I'll add screenshots of my network status from the modem in the next couple of posts.

Any help with this will be greatly received.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Andrea_Hegarty
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fluctuating speeds on 500mbps

Upstream.PNGDownstream 2.PNGDownstream.PNG

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Forget Wi-Fi speeds for now until you have determined whether it is a broadband supply problem.

What speeds do you get with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Andrea_Hegarty
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have checked the speeds by turning off WiFi and connecting only one device (Macbook) via brand new cat 6 cable to all 4 ports on the router and using all 4 ports on the Hub in Modem mode. These are the speeds I have got below:

Port 1 Router: Port 1 VM Hub (Modem mode) - Ping: 17 Down: 243 Up: 36

Port 2 Router: Port 1 VM Hub (Modem mode) - Ping: 17 Down: 210 Up: 36

Port 3 Router: Port 1 VM Hub (Modem mode) - Ping: 15 Down: 195 Up: 36

Port 4 Router: Port 1 VM Hub (Modem mode) - Ping: 15 Down: 195 Up: 36

Port 4 Router: Port 2 VM Hub (Modem mode) - Ping: 17 Down: 355 Up: 36

Port 4 Router: Port 3 VM Hub (Modem mode) - Ping: 16 Down: 242 Up: 36

Port 4 Router: Port 4 VM Hub (Modem mode) - Ping: 17 Down: 194 Up: 36

Could this be an issue with the Virgin Media Hub or maybe the connection coming into the house?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Andrea_Hegarty
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Also here is my broadband quality monitor:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/thumb/ac8fd9ac430e14be7fd4cf46426e...

I have also checked for service issue online and calling the Virgin Media number however there are no issues in my area.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I doubt very much that it is the speed coming into the Hub, the BQM isn't showing any over utilisation indications.

My bet is the Hub but only VM can check that.

Which test site did you use ?

Have a try at >> OHV << and post the results.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Andrea_Hegarty
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HI,

I've been using a lot of different speed tests but this is the one I use the most: https://www.speedtest.net/

Also I have run the inbuilt google one if you search speed test.

I'll try the OVH one when i get a minute. I've done a quick test and its coming up very similar to the tests I've posted before.

Thanks

0 Kudos