Menu
EthanSnoddy
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Fluctuating Ping, Huge lag

I have experienced huge fluctuations in my ping whilst gaming and have done everything I know to be possible to try and combat this. If my playstation is connected through WiFi, I get download speeds of 10 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 Mbps even tho my package states I should be getting around 100 Mbps download. My Hub 3.0 is placed right outside my bedroom and therefore should not experience such a big difference. The ping while gaming fluctuates massively, ranging from 40-50ms to 999ms. I understand during peak times connections can be less reliable but not that bad surely? Recently I have tried "tricking" my playstation in to thinking it is connected through a wired connection by connecting a WiFi extender via ethernet to it and this greatly improves the download and upload speeds by, however does not greatly improve the ping at all and it still fluctuates from 40-50ms to 999ms but just less frequently. I am considering buying a powerline adapter as I've heard they can help but depend heavily on your home wiring. I want to know why the ping jumps around so much and if there is anything to fix it

please let me know if there is any more information I can provide to help 

p.s. This high ping fluctuation only occurs whilst gaming and surfing the web etc. runs smoothly

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fluctuating Ping, Huge lag

Create a BQM and post the live link.

0 Kudos
EthanSnoddy
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a3b8ae0d7cf6e4662f33899a766f0f67e204be79
0 Kudos
EthanSnoddy
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Would someone be able to explain why I had a spike of packet loss too? This fluctuating ping problem still persists

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@EthanSnoddy wrote:

Would someone be able to explain why I had a spike of packet loss too? This fluctuating ping problem still persists

Your BQM has one 'dropout' around 11pm, then a couple of blips early hours, but nothing terrible:

carl_pearce_0-1611501013400.png

Check your network log in your HUB, under 'Advanced Settings\Tools\Network Status', to see if there is a corresponding error at the same time.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

BQM only show one route but you can route to many other routes that have high ping in VM network or after.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos