Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Fibre 350 worth it?

Recently started on the Fibre 350 plan. Tested my speed (next to router) and I'm only getting between 55 and 80 mbps. Went on the Virgin website to try and find someone to contact about this but doesn't seem possible to do that. Presumably BT fibre product is a better bet as it doesn't rely on cable technology? Maybe it would also be possible to get through to customer service with them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fibre 350 worth it?

You need to speedtest when wired direct to the hub.

Wireless speeds and connectivity aren’t guaranteed 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Don't have the equipment for that though. Virgin say speeds only up to 30% slower if wireless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

where do VM stay that. Thay say any speed garantee is only for wired connections.

No one can control wireless.

And BT is worse as they still use twisted copper. Coax is better.

Best: Fiber --> Coax --> Twisted copper : Worst

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And BT is worse as they still use twisted copper. Coax is better.

Not for reliability, nor for latency.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Where have VM ever quoted WiFi speeds only being 30% slower?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, here's the link to the 30% slower point, https://my.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/your-broadband/connecting/connection-type

Thanks for the responses

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Tested my speed (next to router) and I'm only getting between 55 and 80 mbps.

Those speeds are absolutely typical of a wireless device connecting on 2.4 GHz.  Your hub has two wireless bands, one at 2.4 GHz, one at 5 GHz.  The 5 GHz is far superior, but the way the hub is setup is that both share the same network name.  Whilst simple, this often causes problems.  I'll assume your device does support 5 GHz - other than a few cheap wireless cards, old laptops, and many Internet or Tat devices, virtually all devices do support 5 GHz.

You will need to go into the hub's admin page, dig in the settings, and rename the 5 GHz network.  Either just add a 5 on the end of it, or give it a funky name like LAN of Confusion, or whatever else takes your fancy.  You can change the wifi password to something easy to remember (but do that for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands to make your life easy).  Whilst you're there, turn off Guest wifi if you don't use it, and in wireless settings turn off automatic optimisation, and set 5 GHz channel width to 20/40/80.  Each time you change something, click on the Save or Apply button at the bottom of that page.

When you come out of the hub settings, get your devices to connect to the 5 GHz wireless band that now has a new name, and I suspect you'll find that speeds have improved dramatically.   Don't worry about screwing up the wireless settings - if the worst came to the worst (eg you forgot your new wifi password, or devices wouldn't connect at all) then you just reset the hub by using the pinhole reset button on the back - but it shouldn't come to that.

If that doesn't sort things out, then it may be a faulty broadband line, but we can look at that if need be.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That’s an archived page and refers to the old Wireless N 2.4Ghz Superhub. 

Either way, you need to read the updated current speed guarantee where it says wireless speeds aren’t part of the Speed Guarantee. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that worked

0 Kudos