cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up with VirginMedia Broadband Hub3

dorrpark22
On our wavelength

Hello,

My Hub3 has never worked properly. I have been given various excuses but it still dropping calls on Teams and causing lag in gaming.

Various posts lead me to believe its hub3 problem. 

Can any admin get me a free upgrade on my hub?

Thx

5 REPLIES 5

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello dorrpark22

We're sorry to hear of the issues with your network and the impact this is having on you, we appreciate you raising this via the forums.

From checking we can see the speeds to the Hub are fine, the averages are over 273mbs download and 26mbs upload, the latency is 10ms with zero packet loss and minimal jitter. There were some errors but the Hub has been on for 10 days or more so we'd ask you to reboot and leave for 24 hours to see if they come back. Barring that all of the levels and specs are in the ranges we'd expect to see.

You mentioned gaming issues, what device are you gaming on? Is this on all games or just some?

Rob

MS Team has to be the poorest performing video conference platform bar none.

There are occasional grumbles about Zoom and none about Skype, WhatApp & Cisco Webex

But MS Teams could fill its own section of the forum with gripes.

Hub 4 and Hub 5 use a mix of DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 channels this is focused on high bandwidth, the bad news is it comes at the cost of more latency and high/severe jitter.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I'd certainly agree from my own experience that Teams is the most sensitive to connection problems. But it should still be made to work. 

Are you using WiFi from the Hub? If so can you try using an ethernet connection instead?  None of the Virgin Hubs has much better WiFi performance without additional devices. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

HI Rob,

So I rebooted lastnight if you could check and see if the errors are still occuring. eg criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out.

The main issues seems to start when there is more than one of us using either teams or my son who is PC Gaming. We had the same usage on BT and we were fine, never had any issues on a 50Mb link, Virgin has 250Mb link but for some reason we keep having latency issues.

Many Thanks for your help and advice.

I feel like Im not the only person with these issues, forum users and colleagues at work.

If the Virgin Hub's aren't up to the job then they should be replaced, customer should not have to buy there own. If its the network dropping packets then it needs to be fixed.

@Client62 wrote:

Hub 4 and Hub 5 use a mix of DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 channels this is focused on high bandwidth, the bad news is it comes at the cost of more latency and high/severe jitter.

That shouldn't happen. The Hub 4 and 5 should prefer the 3.1 and use the 3.0 if the 3.1 is congested only. CMTS usually guides those modems to 3.1 both downstream and upstream.

I've seen graphs that suggest there are issues and graphs that suggest it's fine. I might mention it to a VM contact see if they've any idea. Really shouldn't be an issue with 3.1 and 3.0 coexisting, however famous last words.