Menu
BIGTONE1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Faulty Hub?

My 150Mbs service is continually coming in at 20-30Mbs download and 5Mbs upload hard wired direct into the hub3.I spoke to VM customer services on the phone for 50 minutes and still not resolved. Done a hard reset still the same.  Used another cable direct from the laptop to the hub. Still the same result. Used another laptop still the same. If I use either of my iPads on wi Fi it comes in at 111Mbs +

Customer services checked the equipment and said no fault is showing?

I was supposed to have a scheduled call today from a “virtual technician “…..no call.  I guess they went down the pub!  So in conclusion I think my VM hub is shot.

Where do I go from here?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Faulty Hub?

I'm at a loss as to why wired speeds are so much lower than wifi, but as even 111 is lower than 150, I'd start off by asking if you can connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

An alternative thought is that if you're still on 150 Mbps, that's a legacy speed that hasn't been offered for about five years, and probably means you're paying an uncompetitive price?  If so, you could kill two birds with one stone, by phoning up to cancel, and you tell them "the value is poor - speeds are too low, and the price is too high - I'll stay if you can sort both".  The retentions agents are used to dealing with technical faults and can schedule a technician.  Combine that with the methods in the link below, see how you get on:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/can-you-downgrade-package-without-using-the...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BIGTONE1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your comprehensive answer Andrew. It just so happens I had a phone call this afternoon from VM and a VM engineer is schedule to arrive within the next 3 hours. I have noted what you suggest and will use that in the future if I have issues.

once again many thanks.

Tone.

0 Kudos
BIGTONE1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just an update.

Engineer came and tested the Hub and my Cat 6 cable.  All good.  It would appear that one of my laptops is giving up the ghost. I shall take it in and see if it can be saved otherwise it’s a new lappie.

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @BIGTONE1

Let me know how you get on, my apologies for the previous inconvenience. 

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos