Menu
tjfisher
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Fault

Hi, we had an engineer attend on Saturday who advised that there was some noise on the network and that we were unable to get the full gig1 connection (which we have been subscribed to for just a week now and have yet to receive the connection speeds indicated)

He arranged an engineer visit today to resolve an issue in the street. Todays engineer advised that the fault was fixed (there was standing water in the street box?) unfortunately he did not enter the property to confirm that the issue was resolved and due to home schooling we were unable to test that we were getting the correct speeds immediately following his visit. 

The engineer from Saturday mentioned using samknows real speed for testing but when he tried it on our connection it was coming up with the following error, which he advised was due to the noise on the network.

Please check your SamKnows enabled device is turned on and connected to the internet."

We have this evening attempted connecting to samknows to carry out the speed test and the above response still remains. We also tried to discuss this with someone on the phone, however all we got was the automated test which mentioned that there is an intermittent fault on the system. i do not want to wait another 24hours before i can book another engineer visit, if another engineer is required can this be arranged.

Could someone please look into my account and see if the fault still remains and arrange for further investigation. How do i claim re-imbursement for my lack of service upto this point?

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fault

Have you tried a factory reset? Hold in the pinhole at the rear of the router for at least 50 seconds and then release (the lights will flash while holding in the pinhole reset button after about 10-15 seconds) then allow 5 minutes for the router to reboot and re-sync the connection.

Also, what speed do you get on https://speedtest.samknows.com/ with direct wired connection from PC/Laptop to router using a Cat 5e cable or better?

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
tjfisher
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

As per my comment i cannot get a speed test to work. The engineer from Saturday stated that this was because of a fault on their system, which according to Virgins self test is still there.

I tried the speed test via pc linked via Cat6a SFTP ethernet cable directly to my Hub4 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Strange, I'm surprised this link does not work https://speedtest.samknows.com/ 

You had indicated that https://samknows.com/realspeed/ did not work which is NOT the link I had posted 🙂

Besides, if it's still showing as a fault on the system there's not much anybody can do unfortunately until the fault is cleared 😞

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
0 Kudos
tjfisher
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Apologies I hadn’t spotted that it was different, just noticed the samknows.

The engineer said that the site i was on was correct at the time.

I will double check shortly

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes the realspeed site is the correct one for the 1 Gigabyte connection but seeing as Samknows realspeed is down, this is the next best thing 🙂

0 Kudos
tjfisher
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Internet connection dropped out just before I attempted the test...

the site you mentioned gives:

Latency 13ms

Jitter 3.16ms

Download 829Mbps

Upload 53Mbps

which is the highest figure I’ve received to date. (Previous tests by ookla)

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That speed is pretty good considering the amount of people that are now on the network and with covid etc it doesn't help and 940mb will be the maximum you can achieve. A virgin tech had told me Ookla is no good for 1 GB connection so I haven't used it since, I guess the drop out is probably due to them working on the fault. Until that's clears you're stuck I'm afraid.

A factory reset on the hub would probably do no good at this stage seeing the fault is still active.

0 Kudos
tjfisher
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah the engineer from Saturday said ookla was no good for anything over 500mb. 

When the internet went down i reset the hub4 then... only just thought to retry the realspeed version. 

Turns out i made the massively rookie IT mistake of not trying to turn it off and on again 🤦🏼‍♂️

realspeed test site works now, so i’ll monitor over coming days, but i guess todays engineer really did resolve the issue 😳

baffled by the phonecall which did an automated test and said there was an intermittent fault still. 

conman33158
Superfast
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hopefully they have resolved the issue, might just take some time to clear the fault or there could be a different fault at someone else’s home, who knows😀

0 Kudos