Menu
jaclem
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Faster speeds over WiFi than over Cat6

Hi All - and Happy New Year!

I've been doing some speed tests and on a wired Cat6 connection I am getting speeds of 90Mbps (on a 200Mbps plan). WiFi speeds on the save device are faster - in the region of 200Mbps. 

Any ideas on what could be causing the lower than expected wired connections? I've tried multiple, new Cat6 cables and all are coming in around 90Mbps.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Faster speeds over WiFi than over Cat6

What's the device you're connecting?  It may have a 100 Mbps ethernet port?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What speeds do you get at >>  SamKnows << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

Then immediately after …

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
jaclem
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've had a look and yes, it's a 100 Mbps ethernet port. Seems slightly strange to me that it's got a faster wireless adapter, no? It's a HP laptop.

Should the speed not be "maxing out" at the 100 Mbps cap then? Apologies if that's just me being naive 

Cheers again 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If the ethernet port on the laptop is 100Mbs then you are stuck with that unless you purchase a 1000Mbs (1Gbs) USB dongle.

100Mbs should be adequate for the vast majority of household tasks.

What age and Model is the laptop ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Buffer6
Hero
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If your equipment has a USB3 port you can find USB external Ethernet Gigabit cards on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=external+NIC+gigabit+cards&i=computers&ref=nb_sb_noss 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@jaclem I've had a look and yes, it's a 100 Mbps ethernet port. Seems slightly strange to me that it's got a faster wireless adapter, no? It's a HP laptop.

Not really - the speeds of wireless and etherent ports were different standards from very different years, and sticking in an economy 100 Mbps port helps the maker keep the cost of a laptop down, but wifi speeds are set by 802.11 standards.

Should the speed not be "maxing out" at the 100 Mbps cap then? Apologies if that's just me being naive 

That's not naive, it's a good, logical question.  The answer is not exactly, because there's "overheads" in the communication protocols that are used, and so the measured speeds are typically around 10% lower than the headline.  Think of it as the "packaging" around the data that gets sent - the packaging is essential so the equipment can handle the data, but it isn't part of the useful data that's been requested.  The same overhead applies to gigabit ports, as the unlucky users of VM's Hub 4 find out, where the hub can receive 1.1 Gbps in, but can only spit out around 870-940 through any single ethernet port.  And again, that was done to keep costs down, because there's faster ethernet ports VM could have specified.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jaclem
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking the time to explain - it’s interesting stuff! 

I’m more than happy with the speeds I’m getting over WiFi so this was done more out of curiosity as a little experiment. 

Thanks all for your responses

0 Kudos