cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast reported speed but slow access to secure sites

stegmenzies
Joining in

Hi

I have a reported a tested speed of 250Mbps. When I try to use sites that require https (TLS/SSL) the speed is very slow and mostly disconnects. For example when I try to do online shopping when I go to payments - the internet disconnects and I am unable to complete the transaction. Also when I am on Zoom I get a very high level of dropped packets and it is almost unusable. I reported this to VM who advised me to switch off/on my router. Have done so. Also sitting next to the router with Wi-Fi the issue happens and even when using an ethernet cable from my computer into the back of the VM router. I tried disabling the 2.4GHz signal but no difference either. VM engineer calm and swapped out my router with a replacement but the issue is still the same. I now just use my 4G for connectivity as it is faster and more reliable. I have an open complaint with VM but they have advised nothing for over a week - other than 'don't download files when I am doing other things on the internet'. It can't be the Wi-fi or the router - I've ruled these out - any other ideas? I am unable to get through to VM by phone, just get texted a troubleshooting URL and the call disconnects!

17 REPLIES 17

Client62
Legend

Samknows Realspeed

First call 0800 561 0061 - use the automated service to see if there is a local service issue.

Use the test below to see if the issue is at the Hub or device.

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.

The speed any WiFi device draws data at is limited by its data needs and technical abilit

Hi When I run the test above I get the message - RealSpeed can't connect to your Router right now. We have lost connection to the measurement software inside your router. Try again a bit later

But I am Online!

so, it connected to the SamKnowsBest site on the 4th attempt and after 6 minutes displayed this - in fact I cannot upload the screenshot! all it says is router download speed = 249, nothing else is displayed, just values of "..."

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 15.59.51.png

on the 5th connection attempt it displayed this - it then disconnected and asked me to try again. Sometimes it's very fast but then just stops dead. I tried this site 8 times and it worked once - results are above

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is this on a single device or every device you use?  If it's a windows PC, try using "safe mode with networking support" and report the results.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes on every device, My MacBook, my daughter's Windows Laptop, 2 x iPads, and 3 x iPhones and 1 x Android device. I tried discounting each device one by one and testing, same result. I have other devices on Wi-Fi, which I have turned off also in order to troubleshoot. If any of these devices attempt to do online shopping they usually fail/timeout at the checkout. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried a full 60 second pinhole reset as below?  This will reset the Hub back to it's out of the box factory settings.

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible. NOTE this will remove any custom settings you may have set in the Hub, and they will all have to be setup again.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi Yes, have done this twice at the request of VM who told me it would fix the issue - did it on my old router and the replacement one too. Didn't resolve the issue I'm afraid

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried disabling Websafe and Childsafe on your VM account?