Menu
KeithRowney
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

False advertising

How do Virgin Media continue to sell m350 broadband yet never exceed about 60mbps download speeds? Surely it’s illegal?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: False advertising

Before it gets heated, lets have a look at what is happening.

How are you connecting to your Hub, Wi-Fi or ethernet cable ?

What device are you connecting ?

Is your download speed a constant speed or occasional ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

because for 99% of people, they get the advertised speeds.
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I will call out (and often have*) VM when they mess up, but before accusing them of false advertising, can we have a bit more info on what's going on?  Things like how you're measuring speed, what equipment this is on, whether you have looked at and can post** your hub's status data for the Downstream, Upstream, and Network log?  This is a "community" forum, with input from available amateurs like me, and from VM staff, but it isn't an instant response chat service.  Work with us, we'll work with you.

* I'm rather proud of my caution, telling me to reign it in or risk expulsion from the VM Forum, although that was a long while back and I was a big bit mouthy at that time.

** Select, copy and paste as formatted text.  Screenshots cause nothing but problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
KeithRowney
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

C8B73DC5-99E1-4F9B-903F-63333E134E98.jpeg

0 Kudos
KeithRowney
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I’m using the speed test app on my iPhone while connected via Wi-Fi.

254D6821-1E91-4734-A8D1-62F638B4BC50.png

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VM (the same as all Internet Providers) don't guarantee Wi-Fi speeds, there are far too many things that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.

Test your speed with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
KeithRowney
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Surely the speed test is assessing the connection to my hub, not between my hub and my device?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It is checking the speed through the Hub, that is why you need a device and cable that is suitable for the speed coming in.

If you are on 500Mbs and only getting 80Mbs  it would indicate a problem with the device or the cable not being up to the job or a supply problem.

If you are on 500Mbs and only getting 300Mbs it would point to a a supply problem and that would require further investigation.

On Wi-Fi and a 500Mbs contract but only getting 20Mbs is it a wall, a week signal, interference from another wireless transmission. Nobody knows what is causing it, that is why speeds are measured at (though) the Hub

0 Kudos
KeithRowney
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike, so why is it that Virgin don’t help with this or take any responsibility for ensuring that when you upgrade to M350 and pay your £50 a month, you actually get what you’re paying for?

0 Kudos