Menu
Hellsbane
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Everyday my speed drops to below 50mbs on 1 Gig service!

Virgin can you please tell me when you are going to fix the connection to the Biggin Hill area. Every day I drop from 600mbs to below 30mbs on some days.  On average it hovers around 50mbs. This is well below your guarenteed service level. I have complained 3 time sand received the same generic letter saying sorry we could speak to you and have tried to phone you. Rubbish no calls made and the poroblem still isnt fixed. I eventually spoke to someone on the broadband department who said there was an outage in the area which will be fixed by the 26th and I would get a refund. Yep you guessed still no change and no sign of said refund. Whats going on this is a very poor service.

And it not the wifi before you add as I hard wire my Pc's via ethernet.

Anyone else in the TN16 (Biggin Hill) area getting issues like this?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Everyday my speed drops to below 50mbs on 1 Gig service!

Have you checked for “known network faults”?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

You could also try a Hub “pinhole reset” - make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 seconds, release the pin, leave for 10’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Hellsbane, 

Thanks for your post, I am sorry you're having this issue with your broadband services recently. 
I have had a look at your services on my side and can see there is area maintenance which is regarding congestion on the line. 
This is due to be fixed - 10 MAR 2021 09:30 - but please be aware this is just an estimate, it could change depending on what the engineers find. I am sorry for the inconvenience this may be causing. However, I am sure they will be working incredibly hard to get this fixed as soon as possible. 
Thanks, 
Megan_L

Hellsbane
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for replying. At least I now know a little more than I did before. Fingers crossed it may be fixed on the 10th.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hellsbane, 

You are very welcome 🙂 please feel free to continue coming back to us for an update if it does get pushed back again. 

Congestion maintenance can take a while to complete, but if you can hang on in there the reward is smoother, faster and better service in the area.

However, if it gets pushed back more times than you would like and you start to feel like you cannot deal with the maintenance work anymore you can create a complaint here - Make a Complaint - and also find out more about this process here - Complaints Code Of Practice

I hope it doesn't get to that point of course, but if you need it, the help is there 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos