Menu
Pinaaa
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet

So recently i changed router, and while i was on this call i had a insightful talk with a employee, this person told me when i asked why i was getting 40 mbs max on a 200 mbs package, that it was because of my ethernet cable, and when i unplugged it i was getting speeds MUCH greater, i am wandering why this is as I much prefer ethernet use, my ethernet cable is a CAT 8 Amazon cable, which is there are 2  of, which then connects to ethernet home plug one on my wall beside my PC and one beside my router. I am wondering why this cable which is new and a CAT 8 is not giving me my normal speeds, and if i should get a different type or change something, thanks

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ethernet

cat8 cable.
OK when a cat5e would of been plenty. I'd be tempted to say that is someone is claiming cat8 cables it may well not be.

try another cable

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet

It'll be the homeplugs limiting the speed - the PC sees the link connection via ethernet as being faster than wifi so preferentially sends traffic across it. In actual fact the wifi is faster and as soon as you disconnect the ethernet, the PC switches to the other method of connection (wifi) and works better.

And yes CAT-8 cables for home use is ludicrous overkill.

0 Kudos