Menu
DrLuvit
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet extremely fast but wifi is so slow.

Hi,

I'm paying for "M350 Fibre Broadband" which boasts speeds of at least 280mbps download speed at all times. This is true on my computer which usually always has over 300Mbps download speed. However, the issue arises when we come to wifi. It is shockingly slow. Even sat directly next to the router it does not even go passed 40Mbps at best. When in another room such as the living room etc it is always <10. I spoke to support when we first moved in, payed £100 for them to come out and move the router, and I'm paying extra for their Wi-Fi boosters to minimal avail. I'm going to contact them again, but I thought I would post here first to see if anyone has any similar issues or can offer any advice for when I contact them.

I have followed every single one of the steps the website has provided to no avail. Like I said I payed to have the router moved with the cables and all in to different locations in the house to try and get a better signal but nothing has worked. I am honestly pretty disappointed and frustrated since I'm paying quite a lot monthly for this internet. 

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read through this and I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks again,

Tom

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet extremely fast but wifi is so slow.

@DrLuvit wrote:

Hi,

I'm paying for "M350 Fibre Broadband" which boasts speeds of at least 280mbps download speed at all times. This is true on my computer which usually always has over 300Mbps download speed. However, the issue arises when we come to wifi. It is shockingly slow. Even sat directly next to the router it does not even go passed 40Mbps at best. When in another room such as the living room etc it is always <10. I spoke to support when we first moved in, payed £100 for them to come out and move the router, and I'm paying extra for their Wi-Fi boosters to minimal avail. I'm going to contact them again, but I thought I would post here first to see if anyone has any similar issues or can offer any advice for when I contact them.

I have followed every single one of the steps the website has provided to no avail. Like I said I payed to have the router moved with the cables and all in to different locations in the house to try and get a better signal but nothing has worked. I am honestly pretty disappointed and frustrated since I'm paying quite a lot monthly for this internet. 

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read through this and I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks again,

Tom

You need to use an app like WiFi Analyzer to check for the least congested channels.

You then need to turn off the 'Smart WiFi' and set the channel manually:

0 Kudos
paultechy
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

just to query, when you view the list of wireless connection around you how many is it showing?, also is there any electronic next to the hub, radio, baby monitor, TV, hi-fi etc?, and lastly what make/model of laptop you using?
0 Kudos
DrLuvit
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll try this out shortly.

0 Kudos
DrLuvit
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There is only one to connect to. I have a pc monitor next to my hub. However, my hub used to be on a table in the living room with no electronics near it what so ever with the even worse connection than in my bedroom. The problems are on my Iphone X, Macbook pro 2019, Macbook pro 2015, Iphone 6, and any device using wifi. My PC is custom built and connected via ethernet and the internet is fine on that machine.
0 Kudos
paultechy
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

sounds like a fault on the hub, would be a day or so+ for the forum staff to reply, alternatively could buy your on 3rd party wifi router, a lot of the community users have done the same since the wifi on the hubs ain't that great to begin with, so no need to for boosters/repeaters etc.
0 Kudos
DrLuvit
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Could you recommend any good 3rd party routers? Thanks
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As for recommendations, only you know the ...

Budget,

Environment,

Workload the device will have to support.

Have a read of online PC and Networking mags to get an idea.

I use a Netgear R8000P, it gives excellent coverage through my very old, big, stone built with thick internal old brick walls along with large chimney breasts.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos