Menu
MickyP10
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet drops

I'm a new (hub 3) VM customer and wifi seems pretty solid but my ethernet cable regularly drops during the day. It's powering my PC upstairs by a mains adaptor (I know, not the best), but eventually will power a smart tv and network streamer at the router, so I'd like it to run as well as poss. I had a little fiddle with channel settings but it didn't seem to make much difference, so it's back to the default.

Normally if I reboot the router download speed increases then settles down again to 8-12 mbs upstairs over the next couple of hours. I could live with this for what I use it for, but it would be helpful if it kept the connection.

Your thoughts appreciated.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet drops

@MickyP10 wrote:

I'm a new (hub 3) VM customer and wifi seems pretty solid but my ethernet cable regularly drops during the day. It's powering my PC upstairs by a mains adaptor (I know, not the best), but eventually will power a smart tv and network streamer at the router, so I'd like it to run as well as poss. I had a little fiddle with channel settings but it didn't seem to make much difference, so it's back to the default.

Normally if I reboot the router download speed increases then settles down again to 8-12 mbs upstairs over the next couple of hours. I could live with this for what I use it for, but it would be helpful if it kept the connection.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Sounds more like your powerline adapters are at fault here.. are you able to test with something directly attached to the hub via ethernet?

powerline networking can be useful in some corner cases, but isn’t great... 

MickyP10
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks and fair point.

When the downstairs is a bit less 'boxed up' from the move, I'll do a test.

Mike

0 Kudos
MickyP10
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It was because I had plugged the powerline adaptor into an extension and not a wall socket. Sorted now. 🙂