Menu
DaveMacc
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet Port speed

Excellent wifi 200MBps down and 20 up

Ethernet ports on hub 3  are capped at 100 MBps, I'm getting approx 85 MBps over  powerline adaptors, this degrades with distance and circuit, and consequently much slower in my office, wifi not good, hence use of powerline. So not getting value of 200MBps via Ethernet connection.

The new HUB 4 for Gigabit have ports and the assumption is a higher speed would pass through the ethernet connections.

So how do we get hub 4 without signing up for 1Gig

Any comments

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet Port speed

@DaveMacc wrote:

Excellent wifi 200MBps down and 20 up

Ethernet ports on hub 3  are capped at 100 MBps, I'm getting approx 85 MBps over  powerline adaptors, this degrades with distance and circuit, and consequently much slower in my office, wifi not good, hence use of powerline. So not getting value of 200MBps via Ethernet connection.The new HUB 4 for Gigabit have ports and the assumption is a higher speed would pass through the ethernet connections.So how do we get hub 4 without signing up for 1Gig

Any comments

Hub 3 ports are fully 10/100/1000 compliant depending on what it connected.  If a 100 device is connected the port will auto negotiate 100, same with 1000. Powerline adapters are not good for speed and should be avoided, they are only for convenience, nothing else.  If you want full speed to your office, you will have to run ethernet cable to the room.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The 100Mbs is more than likely the speed that the Power Line Adaptors are set to.

If not the Power Line Adaptors it could be the device Network Interface Card [NIC] speed.

Older devices had NICs set at 10/100, they then moved to 10/100/100 then to 100/1000 and some are now set at 1000/10000.

If you go into the device settings you will see the NIC settings.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What powerline adapters do you have?

They are likely your issue, or the ethernet linking it to the Hub3 is.  Even some of the "Gigabit" cheap ones have a difficult time pushing >100.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
DaveMacc
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for your comment, seems my mistake. I use small upstairs  room as an office.

Devolo mesh Power line  is approx 110MBps and wifi 98MBps.

The Hub 3 is on ground floor behind TV. Wifi is 220 MBps tested  on mobile and amazon firestick...excellent.

If I connect firestick via  ethernet it drops to 88MBps....yes its the amazon ethernet adaptor rated at 100MBps.

Learnt something new...thanks again

0 Kudos
DaveMacc
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for your comment, seems my mistake. I use small upstairs  room as an office.

Devolo mesh Power line  is approx 110MBps and wifi 98MBps.

The Hub 3 is on ground floor behind TV. Wifi is 220 MBps tested  on mobile and amazon firestick...excellent.

If I connect firestick via  ethernet it drops to 88MBps....yes its the amazon ethernet adaptor rated at 100MBps.

Learnt something new...thanks again

0 Kudos