Menu
ajones01
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Dropped Speed overnight

Hi

first post as I never really had anything to complain about before but this 1Gig broadband and hub 4 have really pi**ed me off. Received my hub 4 last Wednesday and have spent the last 9 days trying to get the proper speed from it and finally yesterday I got it running around 943meg down and 51 up only to get up this morning to find the download had dropped by 300meg went through all the recommended things like checking connections etc knowing that they were all ok as I don't believe in fairies. It has cost me the best part of £300 to be able to get the speed up to what it should be bought an external router new cables etc because the hub 4 was only able to give me anywhere close to the speed with the wireless switched off in modem mode.GOODSPEED 2.jpgBADSPEED 2.jpg

Looking at it you can see the Virgin ip address has changed overnight which I never noticed before on the 200meg service or the 350meg service when I had them which I must say I never had to complain about once. Anyways I am posting my network log to see if anybody can see what overnight disaster may have happened.

Time Priority Description

Thu 01/01/1970 00:01:26 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Tue 27/04/2021 12:44:14 5 MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Thu 29/04/2021 19:23:39 4 DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Fri 30/04/2021 05:50:39 5 MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Fri 30/04/2021 05:50:49 5 RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Fri 30/04/2021 05:51:05 6 CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 4; Chan ID: 33; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Fri 30/04/2021 06:42:24 5 MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Thu 01/01/1970 00:01:22 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Fri 30/04/2021 06:57:00 5 MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Thanks for any help

regards

Andy

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dropped Speed overnight

Your speedtest pics have been rejected as they show your i.p. address - need to blank those out.

I am not a 1GB and Hub4 user so cant help directly - others on here may be able to, but it would be helpful to know exactly what set up you have. What router and wireless equipment are you using? I assume the Hub is in modem mode. What devices are you connecting on ethernet and wifi and how do they compare.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ajones01
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Thank you for the reply. Here are some specs of my system and network setup

Computer: AMD2700X cpu   Rog Strix B450 motherboard with 1gig port   32gig ram  M2 pcie hard drive ( I put a 10Gig network card in incase there was a   fault on the Motherboard port which I disabled)

Virgin Hub: On Modem mode   Router:  Asus RT-AX86U   All rooms are hard wired with Cat 6

Only things on wireless are 2 Galaxy S8+ Phones  a Galaxy A-7 tablet and a Firestick ( which will be going ethernet soon )

Most of the time there would only be the PC and the Galaxy tablet in operation and connections and speed are fine my problem

is that I am paying for a 1Gig connection that I know I can get after 9 days testing and paying out a lot of money for only to find it

has disappeared the next day because something changed on the Virgin side that changed my ip during the night which I suspect

is the cause of my drop in speed from  900+ to 400+

regards

Andy

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

VM i.p addresses are notoriously "sticky" but they do change from time to time often when they do so work on the network. Mine changed a few month ago for the first time in years. It shouldn't affect the speeds per se but I think it would be worth pinhole resetting the Hub to see if it helps. It will put the Hub back to router mode so you will have to go through your set up again.

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi @ajones01

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post concerning your speeds dropping down, sorry to see this has happened.

Please can you perform a pinhole reset on your Hub and then let us know what speeds you are getting afterwards?

For steps on how to do this, please visit this link.

A pinhole reset will restore your Hub to factory settings - but it can also clear up issues with internet speeds dropping. Please let me know how you get on after this, thanks!

Serena

0 Kudos
ajones01
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Serena

thank you for the reply I have been through the factory reset and modem mode with tech support and they have acknowledged that there

seems to be a problem with the speed from the hub to the computer and have booked an engineer. 

sam3.jpg

This is the speed with one device connected to the hub by ethernet nothing connected  on wireless. The device connected is a high speed gaming PC       using a new cat 8 cable and connected to a 10gig network card also new .

regards

Andy

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the details Andy, sorry to see there is clearly an issue going from the Hub to your computer. I understand how frustrating this must be for you.

Glad to hear you have an engineer appointment booked already, please do let me know how your speeds are working after your appointment.

Thanks,

Serena

0 Kudos
ajones01
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Well Serena

Engineer has been and gone, still no better off though. He ran out of answers after the 4 pre-programmed ones he had and after a few more questions he went into error mode. He disconnected the co-axial cable 3 times and flicked the center pin probably praying it would be a quick fix (didn't work) so then he took his magic wand and started tapping on his PDA and after a couple of attempts he did finally achieve something (he dropped the speed by another 10meg) as a matter of fact I probably did more work than him clicking on speedtest results. After 30 mins he started to sidle towards the door with a " Thats it then " I said " you have'nt improved anything " to which he said " I have done everything I can do " he then headed out the front door and I said " I will be phoning Virgin " he replied " and I will be filling in my report " he jumped in the van and sped off. So I phoned Virgin and got a pleasant local girl working from home I explained the situation and she tried to get the area manager as there had been no report on my account from the engineer that had visited. She then sent something to my hub to reset and balance it and said It would probably be better to leave it 24 hrs to see if it helped got up this morning still no change but then it's not 24 hrs yet although I am not holding out much hope. The engineer kept saying to me it must be your equipment even though I had only 1 device connected by ethernet and nothing on wireless and had shown him 3 speedtest results that were 900+ meg download taken on the Tuesday before there was an outside interference fault sometime between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning when the speeds had dropped 400meg. I am going to post the images with part of the ip address blocked out as they were removed from my first post.

Tuesday resultTuesday resultWednesday resultWednesday resultstatus of my network on Wednesdaystatus of my network on Wednesday

As you can see there has also been a change of ip address from the bits that are not blocked out you can also see that my equipment is clearly good enough to get the max speed on the 1gig fibre. So whatever happened on the Virgin side on Tuesday night has been the cause of my drop in speed unless it was a visit by the ethernet fairies on Tuesday night. So after using up 9 days of my dwindling lifespan and £300 + out of my pension to get the speed I was expecting and did achieve do I persevere with this hoping that Virgin can get me back to it or do I go back to my 350meg connection that was a stable 350meg for the time I had it. Now this may seem like a rant from an angry old man because it is a rant from an angry old man because of the attitude of an engineer who clearly could'nt take in information and the amount of time and money that has been spent on this.

😠😠

Andy

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi @ajones01,

Thanks for coming back to us. I am sorry to hear this has been the case and the issues are still ongoing.

We have carried out some further checks on your account and can see some problems with your downstream levels. 

I have therefore booked another engineer appointment for you to get things checked over.

You will find details of the visit via your online account.

Keep us posted. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ajones01
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ayisha_B

thank you for the reply and the second booking

I can see something happening in the background

at the moment because the speeds have been up

and down and the internet has been off a few times

regards