cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop in speed after nextdoor gets connected

BrYTaC
Tuning in

Can i just say before i explain whats happened that untill now theres never been an issue.

So today being the 25th of May my next door neighbour was connected to the virgin network, during the install he knocked on our door to imform us that seeing as our bungalows were attached that the quickest way to do so was to use same cable from the box to house and attach a splitter. he assured us that we wouldnt have any issues. All our stuff went off n rebooted the system.

Later that night i decided to check my BB speed, now im on the M350 although i connect via wifi, now bear in mind tht even though i connect that way i averaged 250speeds mbps so i was not happy when we tested it again later as my dl speed had dropped to 70mbs. Did all the tests as stated on your site ran this test 3 times,same result. Did the test your gear wich came bk fine last

test was seeing if it was an issue from your end which stated an intermitting signal fault from your end, Plz fix thishis and to stop this happening to others tell your engineers to NOT!! cut corners when installiing.

thnks in advance Adrian

30 REPLIES 30

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It's possible that you are receiving interference from the neighbour's WiFi rather than a drop in the broadband speed.  The only way to check is to use an ethernet connection for a speed test.  If that shows a speed drop you should report the problem.  If it's in interference issue you can try changing channels.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

You should check your speeds with an Ethernet cable using a website such as Ookla's speedtest.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Well for one when your system checker or whatever its called did a scan of the connection coming in

and it was that that found an intermittent fault in the signal coming in through the cable. Have been told by our neighbor

that the said egineer n his boss are coming to see us in a few hrs time. As my neighbor cant even watch most of her tv as its stuttering

n freezing every few mins. So that points to a problem either with a connection to the box on the street which is on our wall or the cable used.

will let you guys know of the outcome of all of this.

Ty for your time

Adrian

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s possible that with two services on the same cable that it need moving to a different tap on the street cabinet.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
maybe you need a new splitter
---------------------------------------------------------------

well still on going they came replaced both cables, did a system check b4 leaving the area n wth 2 more households suddenly

have issues. So another guy has to come fix something in the street connection box of tricks Will see what that does.

Hi there @BrYTaC, welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post.

Sorry to see you have been seeing drop outs with your connection, how have things been since the engineer was sent to check over the connection?

If you need any further support please let us know.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Just spent the last few hrs explainin stuff on here to then end it, get a ticket missmatch  loose the lot. So now im gettin annoyed.

Spd sill way down to what it was, now cant do half the stuff i used to because of it. N b4 you all say it, ethernent cable is not an option and if it was i wouldnt be usin wifi in the first place. Im on the m350 bb n was quite happy getting 220 dl speed over my wifi. Range is not an issue as my computer was showin signal strength 100%, signal quality how ever was bouncing around lowest 60% higest 94% At one point my up speed was faster than my dl spd. Im on what i would call an out dated hub3n the latest is what the super hub5 with better tech and stability. We shouldnt have to upgrade to higher BB to get better equipment. Laying all ne cable every where n runnin old stuff on it isnt good buisness. 

on anothere note we have found a cable showing bare wires just left sticking up out the ground not to mention the green tubes the cable is passed through

above ground where they couldnt be bothered to put under.

Adrian. 

Can you post some stats.
For a hub 3: go to 192.168.0.1 (router mode) or 192.168.100.1 (modem mode), do not log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
For a hub 4: go to 192.168.0.1 (router mode) or 192.168.100.1 (modem mode), log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs. Mask any public IP address.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection