Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Dreadful broadband speeds

I've had the M200 too but lucky if my download speeds ever get to 30.  Upload speeds typically 14.  Don't even get a signal in some part of the house.  It's not a castle made of solid stone, nor is it so big that I have an east wing.  I've tried speaking to a human on several occasions about this but just left listening to music on hold.  I even have 3 extenders that I bought separately!  Obviously there are no Virgins left in this Country.  All I want from Virgin is to talk to a human.  Just so frustrating at the moment.  I wonder exactly how long I have been paying for a guaranteed speed I've never received?  Previous posts are interesting but not being an IT nerd, I really don't want to go through all that [MOD EDIT: Removed] when I know a Virgin nerd can do it all remotely....if only there was one!!

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dreadful broadband speeds

VM do not and never have guaranteed Wi-Fi speed or coverage.

Which Hub do you have ?

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Master0b1 wrote:

... snip ...  Previous posts are interesting but not being an IT nerd, I really don't want to go through all that [MOD EDIT: Removed] when I know a Virgin nerd can do it all remotely....if only there was one!!

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Do you think that they will be enthusiastic about helping you when you degenerate to name calling ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, phoning Virgin is a complete waste of time - there is more chance of speaking to a unicorn than to a Virgin tech! And the farcical "here's a link to online support" is just pathetic - you go through security and get referred to the appropriate team who then never get back to you. And the only people who seem to respond to issues in this forum are good natured people who don't work for Virgin but who are trying to help. Truly awful.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 Mike with a cat 6 cable. Speeds this afternoon were low 20's with the desktop in normal mode, high 40's when it was in safe networking mode.

Thanks,

Stuart

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just one thing Mike re Virgin not guaranteeing speeds - they do say that if they can't provide the speeds promised and don't sort it within 30 days then you may be able to exit your contract without penalty. This could be the direction I'm heading!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Stuart_M_H wrote:

Just one thing Mike re Virgin not guaranteeing speeds - they do say that if they can't provide the speeds promised and don't sort it within 30 days then you may be able to exit your contract without penalty. This could be the direction I'm heading!

If you go down that route you will need to provide evidence of the slow speeds.

I would also recommend setting up a Broad Band Quality Monitor at thinkbroadband.com

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There wasn't any name calling.  It was deleted because they clearly didn't like the truth!  I have no choice but to leave Virgin.  Because I can't get through to a human there, either by phone or by email, they probably don't know I'm still having issues.  I have lots of proof that my speed is averaging less than a third of the guaranteed speed, which in turn is half what I'm paying for!  I just wonder exactly how long my speed has been so bad.  I suspect it's always been the same from the outset.  As far as I'm concerned my 30 days started from the first day I tried to call them.  As a moderator and knowing my views, I don't suppose you can find a human to talk to and tell them to contact me?  I'm not paying my next monthly bill, so no doubt I'll be contacted about that in no time!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

At the moment you have gone nowhere fast with your problem.

If you are still adamant that you are not going to post any data you will need to wait on here for about a week* from your last post for one of the VM Staff to pick up the thread.

* This may be longer due the the staff workload.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Master0b1 wrote:

There wasn't any name calling.  It was deleted because they clearly didn't like the truth!  I have no choice but to leave Virgin.  Because I can't get through to a human there, either by phone or by email, they probably don't know I'm still having issues.  I have lots of proof that my speed is averaging less than a third of the guaranteed speed, which in turn is half what I'm paying for!  I just wonder exactly how long my speed has been so bad.  I suspect it's always been the same from the outset.  As far as I'm concerned my 30 days started from the first day I tried to call them.  As a moderator and knowing my views, I don't suppose you can find a human to talk to and tell them to contact me?  I'm not paying my next monthly bill, so no doubt I'll be contacted about that in no time!

They will send you a reminder of the missed payment. If you don't pay they will pass the bill on to a debt recovery agency and possibly put your name on credit black lists. And if that happens it could cause you a whole heap of problems in the future.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos