Menu
crschulte1
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Downstream power out of range - broadband download speed won't top 9.5Mbps

For some time my broadband speed has been maxing out at 9.5Mbps, tested throughout the day and night, using both wired and wireless devices (I am on a 100Mbps plan). Upload speed is as expected, varying between 6 and 9.5Mbps. I have performed several hard resets of the router and I have checked the cable connections for tightness but nothing seems to change the maximum downstream speed results.

When I check my modem status sheet Downstream Power Levels appear to be too high, averaging around +13dBmV per channel. I understand the correct range should be between -3 and +8dBmV. Upstream Power looks ok at +40dBmV (I understand this should be between +31 and +54).

Signal-to-noise ratio looks fine (around 37db per channel), but I am getting a significant number of Post RS Errors logged in the router's diagnostic sheets. 

Unless anyone on this forum has a simple solution, I would be extremely grateful if a VM engineer could look into this as soon as possible. Attempts to discuss the issue with VM customer services and to raise formal complaints have been fruitless to date.

The slow speeds are having a real practical impact on every member of my family's practical lives as we try to work from home and school from home at the same time (all online with frequent video streams!). I would be satisfied to get the minimum service speed VM promises on my plan, which I think is 54Mbps. Anything over that number would be a welcome bonus, but I'm not sure why I'm paying for a service that is not even 20% as fast as the "slowest" download speed I'm meant to get.

Thanks - any help anyone can offer would be very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Downstream power out of range - broadband download speed won't top 9.5Mbps

Since you've done the work I've merely flagged that for a staff response.  They're busy at the moment, but should get a reply between a few minutes and several working hours.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @crschulte1 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your broadband. 

I am going to need to send you a PM so that I can get some account information. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
crschulte1
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again everyone for your help with my internet issue.

A VM engineer came yesterday afternoon and fitted an attenuator -- and download speeds instantly went up to 100Mbps+.

Thankfully the issue was simple enough for me to diagnose and sort out using all the helpful clues I found in this forum. 

I'm still not sure why it takes such a roundabout method (and the involvement of so many people) to get VM's attention when it's the one at fault for not honouring its contract commitments... but hopefully the internet will provide smooth sailing for me and my family from here.

At least I will know where to come back to if/when the next problem arises!

0 Kudos