Menu
GrouchoSeven
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Download vs upload

Hi all,

Just upgraded from 350 to the 500Mbps broadband service and experiencing a real slow down.

The VM online help suggest I need a CAT6 cable (using CAT5) but I'm doubting that's the problem. Upload speeds are in-line with the contract and well excess of the download speed. 

Taken a few speed tests and the upload speed is fairly consistent at ~35Mbps. Download is really disappointing. It's as low as 7.7 and only reaches  16.15 at best.

Been through the hub reset, checked service status, checked speed several times with separate servers.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Download vs upload

For any speeds above 100Mbs you need a Cat 5e spec cable or better.

What speeds do you get at >>  SamKnows << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

Then immediately after …

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If possible can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Please post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here straight away.

Instructions for posting BQM Live Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then Advanced Settings > Tools > Network Status.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@GrouchoSeven wrote:

Hi all,

Just upgraded from 350 to the 500Mbps broadband service and experiencing a real slow down.

The VM online help suggest I need a CAT6 cable (using CAT5) but I'm doubting that's the problem. Upload speeds are in-line with the contract and well excess of the download speed. 

Taken a few speed tests and the upload speed is fairly consistent at ~35Mbps. Download is really disappointing. It's as low as 7.7 and only reaches  16.15 at best.

Been through the hub reset, checked service status, checked speed several times with separate servers.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Category 5 (Cat5) cable only has support for 10 or 100 Mbps speed so in real terms about 80mb-90mb max. As Mike says, you need Cat 5e or better, especially with speeds above 100mb. Also your network card (Ethernet card) needs to be 1Gbps capable to benefit from speed over 100mb as well.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
GrouchoSeven
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm not entirely comfortable posting all my router details to a public forum so I won't be doing that.

I've now upgraded to a Cat6 cable and have checked that I have a Gbit capable card. As suspected, the speeds have not improved.

Given that my UL speeds far exceeded my DL speed, this was no surprise.

I've had a complaint logged with VM for over a week and despite the email response stating that they would be in touch immediately if speeds fell below minimum for 3 days, I've heard nothing.

So... my 500Mb/s broadband is currently running at maybe 2% capacity.

I've been a customer since the days of NTL. Thoroughly unimpressed.

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Firstly your router stats are just that "stats", there is no personal information of any use to anyone and all Mac addresses are automatically hidden, the same is said for the BQM, your IP address will be encrypted as you can see by mine below.

At the end of the day your decision will be respected but I doubt anyone else can be of any further assistance as nobody can find a fault if they don't have the information. Your only option now would be to ring Virgin Media (around 8am is best) and hope they detect a fault with your connection but sometimes that's not always the case as they too can rely on information gathered here by customers providing the relevant information which you are not prepared to do, with that, all I can say is good luck with getting it sorted 🙂

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
GrouchoSeven
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate the comments and many thanks for that.

I had filed a report via phone. My hub was reset remotely a moment ago and I'm now getting the DL speeds as per contract.

GrouchoSeven_0-1611105755691.png

0 Kudos