Menu
paperman
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Download speeds

I have recently noticed that the download speed on my Dell desktop has dropped and when I checked it I found it to be 19 Mb/s. It used to be 90 Mb/s.

I phoned VM and after much switching on and off and factory resetting the speed increased to 30 Mb/s. They then said it was my PC at fault and they could well be right. The reason being that we get 50 Mb/s from an Huawei tablet and 82 Mb/s on a Samsung tablet on the same connection.

My desktop is about a year old and connected to the internet by an ethernet cable and WiFi. The speed is unchanged by unplugging the cable or leaving the cable in and stopping the WiFi. The internet connection is via a VM Hub3

If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do to improve things I would be very pleased to hear from them.

Thank you

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Download speeds

backup and reinstall.

0 Kudos
paperman
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks legacy1. I was hoping to avoid that. My reinstalls Have always taken way longer than they should and not always had the desired result !
0 Kudos
paperman
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Problem solved. I checked through Task Manager and found a running process called SmartByte that I did not recognise. I stopped it and, surprise surprise, when I checked the download speed it was back up to 92 Mb/s.

SmartByte Network Service is something Dell load on to their PC,s along with other updates!

If you have a slow Dell this might be of assistance.

Moderator (Retired) John_G
Moderator (Retired)
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi paperman,

Sorry it's taken us a while to get to you but glad to hear you've managed to find the cause and get this sorted.

Thank you for posting the solution as I'm sure it will be of great help to anyone with a similar issue.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Confusedlady
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for this.  Was driving me barmy as my speed dropped from 90+ to just 9 and couldn't work it out.  Virgin are sending me a wifi booster (not sure that the lady at call centre had any idea more than I what the problem was !)  Followed your advice and I am back up to 112mbps. Appreciated

0 Kudos