Menu
quelopera58
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Download speeds way higher than expecting, over 1/2gbps?

I pay for the new 500mb down when i speed test on i usally get around 600-900mbs down, but sometimes when i test i can get easily over 1gbs and a few times over 2gbs. The last time i done a speed test was Friday and i had 2.4gbs download, does anyone know why this is? I live in Bristol if location makes a difference.

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Download speeds way higher than expecting, over 1/2gbps?

Sounds like a faulty speed test. None of the VM hubs are capable of delivering the top speed you describe to devices on your LAN as they are only fitted with Gigabit Ethernet ports which have a real world speed of around 900Mbps. The wireless capabilities are even slower.

I have seen reports of weird speed test results in the past, not sure if it is a test site issue or a browser issue.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Download speeds way higher than expecting, over 1/2gbps?

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

Please link to the result onto here.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos