Menu
AbsolutelyDiv
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Download speeds great, uploads borderline unusable

Hi there,

As it seems VM basically have zero actual customer service which is accessible at the moment (they ignore my emails, tell people to avoid using the phone lines and there's no online chat anymore?) I thought i'd post here, see if anyone can assist me.

I have an M350 package, and get the advertised download speeds of around the 300-350 Mb mark signal strength dependant of course. My upload speed though, ranges from 1Mb to around 7Mb being the absolute best i could get with a speed test. Their site estimates the 35-37 range so something is obviously up here.

These tests performed on both wifi and ethernet connected devices with little variance between the two, i've tried rebooting (and even factory resetting) the router (which is a hub 3.0)

Can anyone advise, are there any particular of the technical-stats that would be most useful to help diagnose at all, or is there anything i can do?

I wont pretend i really understand what the numbers or values mean, but i'm assuming "upstream channels" are related to the upload, so i've posted them

Cable Modem StatusItem Status Comments

Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)
Provisioning State

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

12579992739512016 qam4
23260000039512032 qam3
34620000039.3512064 qam1
43940000039512064 qam2

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1ATDMA0010
2ATDMA0000
3ATDMA0000
4ATDMA0000
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Download speeds great, uploads borderline unusable

It seems that the modulation on some of your upstream channels is dropping below QAM64,

Could you unplug you hub, check all your connections are secure and reconnect then repost your upstream stats.

We can then keep an eyebon this and check it out tomorrow afternoon for errors.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
AbsolutelyDiv
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Matt,

I disconnected and re-connected all the cables as best i could just now, rebooted the hub and the stats are now as follows:

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

12580000038.8512016 qam4
23260000039512016 qam3
34620000039512064 qam1
43940000039512064 qam2

if the modulation being less than 64 QAM is bad, then presumably these are now worse? as channel 1 and 2 are 16 QAM rather than 16 and 32 QAM?

a speed test at about half 8 this morning showed around a 3 Mb upload, but it was inconsistent/fluctuate-y

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There os certainly a fault that needs looking at, a member of the the team should be along shortly to book a technician to visit and look at the issue.

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
AbsolutelyDiv
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Oh. Okay then

Thanks Matt

0 Kudos
AbsolutelyDiv
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

Just so we're clear - when you say "shortly".... any idea when and how i can expect contact from someone at VM?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@AbsolutelyDiv wrote:

Hi again,

Just so we're clear - when you say "shortly".... any idea when and how i can expect contact from someone at VM?

5 - 10 days is the average - sometimes sooner. if you want it more quickly than that, you'll have to battle through on the phones - 08:00 is the best time to call to minimise the wait (09:00 on a Sunday)

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@AbsolutelyDiv wrote:

Hi again,

As mentioned above can take up to a week, recently has been taking up to 3 days.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Good afternoon @AbsolutelyDiv 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing some issues with your upload speed.  I have taken a look over things and we are going to need to get a tech out to you. 

Are there any upcoming dates that you are not able to do? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Cheers @Zak_M 🙂

0 Kudos