Menu
jontym
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Download speed worse since upgrading to 200mbps

Upgraded from 150 to 200 yesterday, previously speed test showed 150 to 160 mbps consistently over my wired network on speedtest.net. 

I wasn't able to allow the live chat person to reset my superhub because my partner was working from home on a video call at the time. They said it would be okay to just turn the hub off and back on again later to get the speed upgrade. I did that.

Now I'm finding my download speed has actually gone down to 120 mbps! The upload speed seems about right at 20 mbps though.

The useless VM test page says everything is OK and I can't seem to figure out how to get back to Live Chat to talk to somebody. 

Seems a bit pointless upgrading my package to get a downgrade in speed. 

(Edited to say I should probably mention that I'm a network engineer developer working in IT for nearly two decades, so I know what I'm doing and have tried all the obvious stuff... my home network is a gigabit wired network and my tests are done with all devices other than my laptop disconnected, etc etc)

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Download speed worse since upgrading to 200mbps

You've checked the hub's power levels, SNR, and error counters?

And whilst it probably won't help, you have since tried a pinhole reset of the hub, rather than just power cycling?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

are you wired direct to the hub?

What is your current router configuration telling you the speed is?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jontym
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

All the config seemed OK.

I think I've managed to fix it anyway. I logged in to the Superhub directly using wired connection, reverted back to router mode and then back to modem mode again. No idea why but that has sorted it.

0 Kudos