Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Download speed suddenly lowered.

The router (Hub 3.0) has mostly been fine for months since getting it, but a couple of days ago the WiFi light started flickering erratically while the Internet light flashed normally (as though it were updating). At this time, the connection dropped to 1-2 Mbps, I tried restarting (twice), then I got frustrated and just restored it to factory settings.

After it booted I got around 20Mbps, which was still considerably slower than normal, but the WiFi light was now a solid green, so I figured it was probably just having to process several updates and went to sleep. The next morning it had dropped again, down to around 5Mbps.

If anyone knows why this is happening, I'd appreciate any advice on how I can fix this.

Here's the status stuff, which I'm assuming will help (Apparently part of it was HTML, so bits have been censored);

Cable Modem StatusItem Status Comments

Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)
Provisioning State

Downstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dB) Modulation Channel ID

14830000003.438256 qam30

Channel Locked Status RxMER (dB) Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors

1Locked38.91410

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

1462000004.625512064 qam5

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1ATDMA0000

General Configuration

Network access
Allowed
Maximum Number of CPEs
Baseline Privacy
Enabled
DOCSIS Mode
Docsis30
Config file
V0d8310cb0396200.cm

Primary Downstream Service Flow

SFID31758
Max Traffic Rate80500000
Max Traffic Burst10000
Min Traffic Rate0

Primary Upstream Service Flow

SFID31757
Max Traffic Rate5250020
Max Traffic Burst16320
Min Traffic Rate0
Max Concatenated Burst16320
Scheduling TypeBestEffort

Network Log

Time Priority Description

20/11/2019 18:35:3criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
21/11/2019 05:06:46ErrorDHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
21/11/2019 20:02:28ErrorDHCP REBIND WARNING - Field invalid in response;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/11/2019 01:48:57Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/11/2019 01:48:57criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/11/2019 01:48:58Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/11/2019 01:48:58criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/11/2019 01:48:58Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/11/2019 20:43:11criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
25/11/2019 01:30:20ErrorDHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
25/11/2019 02:00:45criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
25/11/2019 12:04:8ErrorDHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/11/2019 12:10:52Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/11/2019 12:10:52criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/11/2019 12:10:52Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/11/2019 12:10:53criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/11/2019 12:10:58Warning!Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/11/2019 12:13:42criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/11/2019 12:18:52criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/11/2019 21:28:23noticeUnit has been restored to factory defaults from a software issued command;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Download speed suddenly lowered.

Nothing you can do to fix that, the data shows your connection is completely and utterly stuffed.  Rather than prattle on about what it does and doesn't show, I'd simply suggest you either phone in (if you're brave enough to endure VM's world-class awfulness of first line "support"), or hang on in here until the UK based forum staff take a look and can offer some advice.  I'd suggest the latter.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm also experiencing the same issue. External network went down yesterday (Wednesday) morning then when I got home from work around 7pm, its been hitting 6Mb/s with the stats looking completely borked.

Spoke to "technical support" just now and it consisted of various things which I've already attempted just in case: speedtest in safe mode, resetting the router (I had it in modem only mode), returning back to modem only, wireless, ethernet, connecting direct, connecting via our router, etc.

They eventually said it's an internal problem, I said how given I've tried to connect via ethernet to Virgin hub and the downstream channels should be way more than 1. No answer.

Said their "resources will not allow them to book an engineer" I asked what that means, he repeated it. Now been asked to wait 2 days (so 3.5 in total) to see if it improves and they then "might" send an engineer. I understand the scripts they have to go through, but it was 40 minutes of pure script and no desire to look deeper.

Andruser - Is there a way to get the attention of any other staff (be it UK or whoever is appropriate) that you mention? Or is it purely wait to see on the forum the best bet? When something similar happened before, I managed to find an email address and someone called me me the next day and they were excellent.

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dB) Modulation Channel ID

14830000000.537256 qam30

Channel Locked Status RxMER (dB) Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors

1Locked37.650

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

1603000003.95512064 qam1

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1ATDMA0000
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Andruser - Is there a way to get the attention of any other staff (be it UK or whoever is appropriate) that you mention? Or is it purely wait to see on the forum the best bet? When something similar happened before, I managed to find an email address and someone called me me the next day and they were excellent.

1) Wait for the forum staff to pick this up and respond.  Can take a day or so.

2) You could try PM'ing a VM forum staff member responding to another post, as they're usually helpful and UK based.  If they have a customer service gene they'll help, but be aware that I have a very strong impression that VM don't like customers doing that one little bit.  The forum staff might not be too keen either, if this doesn't fit in with VM's workload scheduling.

3) I've never found any way of communicating with VM by email - they have clearly taken a policy decision that they will not use email to communicate with customers.

4) If you do want to escalate and speak to a human, and one based in the UK, then the best bet is to phone 150, follow prompts for "about my account" and "thinking of leaving" and explain that you're going to have no choice but to cancel because the broadband service is poor, and the technical support is worse.  Usually the retentions team will get the problem looked into quickly if the alternative is a lost customer (I'm certain they'll get bonuses for retaining customers, whereas the customer service agents, I'm not sure if they're paid at all).  Normally 8-10am is a good time to call, or 7pm onwards.  Outside of the Customer Retention team normal operating hours calls just get shoved to the same dismal offshore zoo that does "customer service".

5) Escalate using the VM Complaints Policy, and probably do so by post because VM can't manage telephone, email or chat communications.  This approach isn't quick, but at least having raised a complaint you can escalate to the arbitration service CISAS and request compensation and contract exit without penalty if VM don't sort it out.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi DSayles,

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community.

I'm very sorry that you're not getting the speeds you'd expect with your broadband. I can appreciate you're keen to get this fixed.

I've had a look at the backend of your services, and I can see that there are some potential issues that are causing this. I'm going to need to take a closer look at your account, so I'll pop you a private message now.

Thank you,

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Andruser - thanks very much for your reply, that's really good and helpful information. Any way for you to join the senior staff of one of these companies? They'd have a great reputation if so! One thing I forgot to add in my original post was the "technical support" parting gift was to tell me I "need to connect the ethernet". I said "what does that even mean? ethernet and wifi are 2 completely different physical and technical methods of connecting to a network via a router/switch." They simply repeated it.

If I don't hear anything back today, I'll give retentions a call on Sunday as you suggested (I'm out tomorrow) to see what they can do.

Interestingly, I restarted the hub again yesterday and I'm now getting 24 down bonded and 4 up and speedtest.net is reporting faster, but still only 80-100 rather than 200+. Very strange. A guy in work said our whole local area went down Tuesday when I spotted in, so I wonder if there's a local contention issue or something (can that happen on Virgin, or is it an Openreach only thing?)

Melissa - If you or your colleagues have a spare few minutes to PM me I'd really appreciate it. Understand you're busy though.

0 Kudos