cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed slowing down

Lee989
Joining in

For the past week or so, our download speed has been dropping to unusable levels, sometimes as low as 0.5Mbps (and we're on the 1gig package). Upload speeds are fine and fairly consistent. If I leave it long enough (an hour maybe more) it will sometimes recover itself, other times I have to reboot the hub. Following a reboot I might get full speed again, or I might get around 50Mbps.

My hub is in modem mode, attached to an Asus RT-AC86U router. LAN speeds are unaffected, only WAN, so I doubt it's an issue with my own hardware?

I installed a speedtest tracker on my NAS which has a 1gbit connection to the router to monitor the issue, the results are attached below, I've ticked the manual tests I did following a reboot.

I've checked the service status page each time it's slowed down, and VM report no issues in the area.

Any idea what's going on and how to resolve? Do I need to call VM and go through the usual thing where they tell me to disconnect my router, exit modem mode, reboot and then claim it's fixed because the speed is inevitably fine again for several hours post-reboot.

Original images here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YnC6BBlZcIQzGfAadctREdSx7eqGkGFv?usp=drive_link

Update: I just noticed that whilst the Power (dBmV) is pretty much the same when fast or slow, the SNR is around 10dB lower on my screenshot of it being slow, compared to what it is currently. 

ChartsChartsLogLogHub download status pageHub download status page

2 REPLIES 2

Lee989
Joining in

Hey Lee989, 

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your broadband connection at the moment, I have looked into this and can see an issue with your downstream channels that will need a technician visit to resolve. I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L