cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed drop after trading up to M500

Green758
Joining in

Hi,

Last week I moved from M100 to M500. My upload speed has increased as expected (~38.6Mbps) but my download speed has dropped from ~110/120 to ~85Mpbs. I've not changed any kit or cables over this period (or in quite a while).

I primarily use a wired (ethernet) connection to my computer, but have tested on WiFi too. My Hub3 is in Modem mode.

Any suggestions for things I should check my end, or for VM to look at to fix (there are no local issues, apparently).

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

85 Mb/s is highly suggestive of an ethernet connection negotiating to 100 Mb/s rather than Gigabit

As you are in modem mode, first check on your own router to see what the WAN interface claims to be running at - my money would be on the Hub's ports getting it wrong. You could try a factory reset of the hub, check the speed when it comes back up with a PC connected directly to it, then if all OK put it back into modem mode.

Thank you. The factory reset worked while the computer was plugged straight into the Virgin hub. But when I put it back into modem mode the speeds dropped again.

The odd thing is I had faster download speeds before the upgrade to M500 and I haven't changed anything on the virgin hub or my router, so I don't understand why the download speed has dropped once it has more 'available'.

Same computer, switch, wiring, etc before and after. All gigabit enabled.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

switches can go faulty as i found a while ago when i had the same issue as you a while ago - they tend not to die but run at 10/100 - so try the hub to the router next without the switch - if you still get slow speeds then the switch would seem ok so next step in my mind is to reset your router as you have proved the speed is there at the hub

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Green758

Sorry to hear this is happening 

Are you still getting the same issues since your last post?

If so please let me know 

Gareth_L