Menu
ElliottStevensV
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Download speed 2mbps reoccurring

So this is a follow up on a problem I've posted about before and have been having on and off for months and this is my last hope to get anything done about it. Previous post here: (https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/slow-download-speed-1-00-mbps/td-p/4370121/highlight/fals...)

So the issue is every month towards the middle of the month the speed will get capped at no higher than ~2mbps for a number of weeks and will later magically fix itself. This has been happening for like half a year.

I've called for a technician a few months ago, but cancelled when the problem fixed itself (which I now regret). calling to get a technician out last month, the guy said virgin would monitor my system for a MONTH to make sure what I was saying was true and get back to me via email in a few days or weeks. I've waited a month and surprise surprise no email! I'm paying for "next day technician service" but they wont even send out a technician? 

I've done all the usual, restart, reset, check cables, BQM etc 

it's just such a weird issue to have, that it occurs around the same time every month, capped in the same range of download speed. It's all really starting to stress me out, spending two hours waiting on the phone, only to be told to wait another month because I guess they just can't trust the word of a customer who has gone above and beyond to try and resolve this issue before contacting them. 

This doesn't seem to be going away and virgin simply don't want to send anyone out to fix it, I'm probably going to end up changing packages and moving to sky. It'd be nice to just post this and have a technician on my doorstep in a few days but I doubt that can happen, given covid etc. 

0 Kudos
ElliottStevensV
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Download speed 2mbps reoccurring

and yes, this issue is present on ethernet, I've tested through ethernet and wifi. I'm on a 100mbps package, currently sitting at 2mbps. Yes I've done tests in safe mode. yes, coaxials are finger tight. yes, I've done pinhole reset. 

they guy on the phone said my hub 3.0 is very old, could be the issue but somehow I doubt it. forum people few months ago said my BQM was looking fine

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If possible can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Please post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Live Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

Then immediately after ...

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
ElliottStevensV
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

so I did your speed test and noticed something unusual when unplugging the coaxial to wall thing that goes into my virgin tv box, the thing that says "unplugging me will disconnect your virgin services". The internet went out as expected, but when it came back there was a brief period on my desktop where I was getting my expected 100mbps download speed, but then goes back to 2mbps after a couple of minutes. This is happening in time with how the virgin tv box is connected to the wifi. When the red LED's on the virgin box are showing it is not connected to wifi, my desktop speed is fine, but once the red LED's disappear and the box is connected, the speed goes back down to being 2mbps. Simply trying to unplug the power and/or coaxial cable from the back of the virgin tv box and doing a speedtest doesn't resolve the issue however, the entire coaxial to wall outlet thing has to be unplugged, which turns off the whole internet.

I'm using CAT5E ethernet with no other devices connected. Previously my desktop has showed up as 1gbps, however my desktop is not showing up in "connected devices" after doing this test. No change to the result of the speed test when disconnecting all devices, still at 2mbps download speed, with varying ping

0 Kudos
ElliottStevensV
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
ElliottStevensV
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Oh to add a few more details I forgot:

I'm pretty sure this momentary return to my normal speed happened previously when simply restarting the hub, so it's not specific to the wall outlet thing. Also I did try my best to look for broken or loose cables but couldn't find any. 

sorry for the multiple posts, I had to type this all up twice because of how I copied the BQM link the first time around 😞

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I have got to ask.

Why did you disconnect the co-ax from the wall box ?

Can you do the speed test and connected devices check just as I asked please ?

0 Kudos
ElliottStevensV
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I disconnected the plug because I didn't know it had a bunch of coaxials going to different places, I thought it just went straight to the virgin tv box, which I needed to unplug to do your test. 

I did the speed test exactly how you asked, no change in results. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

And was is the connection speed in the Hub Connected / Attached Devices page for the test device ?

0 Kudos