Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Downgrade from 350 to 200, barely getting 100.

Downgraded my broadband to fit the TV package in 3 months ago. My past 350 speed was always hitting 386-389 using speedtest.net and dslreports. Since my downgrade back down to 200 I can't achieve anything over 105- 113. All through a CAT7 ethernet cable, all other devices turned off and unplugged. Router reset, Windows 10 put in safe mode, up to date with all drivers up to date. Router status shows no signs of SNR problems.

Internet has never dropped completely, in fact every speed test ( 40 plus over the last 10 days ) has never given a result lover than 89 Mbps but has been far from anywhere near 200 which is strange since every broadband package I've upgraded to has always given me an extra 20-30Mbps more than advertised speed. 

Called on 2 occasions the tech team ( call ended and then other said he was escalating it to another department when the call ended ). 

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Downgrade from 350 to 200, barely getting 100.

Delete or mark topic as success. Latest Win 10 update had capped my speeds for some reason. Ran this in Command Prompt 

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

and fixed it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

That's an interesting observation! I am a Mac man so not an issue for me but for the benefit of others - how common is this problem in the windoze community ?

Anyone else on here seen it ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

There's plenty of results for "Windows 10 capping speeds" and plenty of different answers. 

This was something I noticed over Christmas and in to the New Year where downloads were max'ing out at 10.1 Mbps. ( This is through a wired connection ). You immediately rush to conclusions, must be Virgin, might be the drivers,....start turning off and on the router several times...still no luck. 

So giving google another bash and scanning various different queries this "Win 10 capping speeds" came up. There's plenty of people on many forums asking the same question and this answer about going into CMD Prompt came up a lot. Low and behold immediately after inputting that command...

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

...my speed came back up to 226Mbps on both speedtest and dslreports. Tested today after rebooting my laptop and fine. Might be worth holding onto that and passing it on to other members, looks like 1 or 2 others could be having the same issue.

0 Kudos