cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Down speeds reduced

CeeBeeUK
On our wavelength

Hi, I am on the M350 broadband package, but my downspeed has not got above 95Mbps for the last month, can someone check the local, South East London, Bromley circuits?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Typically this is caused by :

1) a network cable fault that de-rated the connection from 1000Mb/s to 100Mb/s
2) a network adaptor that is has Speed set to 100 Mb/s Full Duplex
3) passing data over any 10/100 device ( network switch / USB adaptor / Powerline etc )

Hub Test :

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.
https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.
The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription

Please share a screen shot of the Full Test.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If this is on ethernet, check that the link between the Hub and the measuring device is operating at 1Gbps and not 100Mbps. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

CeeBeeUK
On our wavelength

It was showing ~350Mbps for months and then suddenly dropped around the end of June beginning of July.  I left it a while as it's dipped before and recovered.  This time it's not recovered 😕

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Change the ethernet cable to a new Cat6a one - old ones can and do fail.  When a little wire comes loose in the connector the max speed available drops to <100.  Icann be intermittent if the wire is just "loose" in the connector

See Tudor's reply in message 7 here...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/No-speed-improvement-after-upgrade/td-p/514...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Client62
Legend

Typically this is caused by :

1) a network cable fault that de-rated the connection from 1000Mb/s to 100Mb/s
2) a network adaptor that is has Speed set to 100 Mb/s Full Duplex
3) passing data over any 10/100 device ( network switch / USB adaptor / Powerline etc )

Hub Test :

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.
https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.
The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription

Please share a screen shot of the Full Test.

CeeBeeUK
On our wavelength

Thanks all, will run some checks on the cable run later.  This is a wall mounted mesh network router with chased cables so movement should not have been an issue but samknows is showing the full speed on the router!

CeeBeeUK
On our wavelength

Unplugged everything:

• tried the mesh hub connected directly to the router with a new cable: 350Mbps+
  • tried it plugged into it's original wall socket with a new cable: 350+
  • tried it connected to it's original wall socket with the original cable: 350+

I spent 40 minutes turning it off and on again for it to work!
Thanks for helping resolve it, I thought that would be too simple! 😀

Client62
Legend

turning it off and on again resets the connections & zeros the error counts, if the fault persists expect the speed to drop again.