Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Does upgrading to Gig1 require an engineer visit?

Hi hope everyone is well and staying safe during the current circumstances.

Gig1 is now available in my area and I am looking to upgrade from M350 to Gig1 I do not have the option to upgrade using the website due to special promotional discounts on my account so no upgrades are shown on the site.

My main concern during the current situation is does this upgrade require an engineer visit? or is self install an option I am quite capable of plugging in a new Hub, don't want to waste anyones time calling to upgrade if all I am going to be told is I require an engineers visit.

Thank you all in advance for any replies.

Take care.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does upgrading to Gig1 require an engineer visit?

Hi there

Yes it would require a visit from a tech to install I'm afraid there are no quick start kit for 1 Gig at present.

Hope this helps

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the fast reply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Another Money Making Exersise from VM.

How hard is it unpluging a SH3 and installing a SH4.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 500Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Well I won't be upgrading anytime soon because they require an engineer visit, so they are actually going to be losing money.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I do not know what this virgin forum team member is saying.
I upgraded just as you want to from the 350 to Gig1 as soon as it went live in the midlands and can confirm NO ENGINEER IS NEEDED, they send you a quick start package that is it. The only time you need an engineer is if it is a. new install otherwise you do not; ring virgin (they are very busy so ring as soon as they open and you will get through within minutes) and ask to upgrade I guarantee they will just send you a quick start kit. A heads up though the hub 4 is barely a upgrade from the 3 and if you actually want the speeds you are paying for get a 3rd party router as I have, When I upgraded the best I got on 2 Wifi 6 1350mbps capable devices right next to the router was 368; I brought the top of the line NETGEAR Nighthawk Trim-band AX12 and now get around 900mbps in the exact same place on the same devices. I live in a large triple fronted 3 storey house and now where I used to get around 150 I am getting 600 so a router upgrade with the Gig1 is definitely recommended. Here's a link to the router if your interested although you can get a more basic one I am recommending this as it is top of the line future proofed and I can personally confirm the speed gains with this.
https://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/RAX200.aspx

If I Have Tried To Help You Hope It Helps:
I am fairly knowledgeable about technology in general and will try to help you to the best of my ability.

Sky World Customer (TV), Virgin Media Fibre Optic Gig1; Virgin Media Phone Package

Want To Contact Virgin Media's UK Call Centre?
Here's How:
STEP 1: Dial 150 (Virgin Landline) or 0345 454 1111 (Non Virgin Phone)
STEP 2: Option 1 for TV, Broadband or Home Phone

STEP 3: If The Number You Are Calling From Belongs To Your Virgin Media Account Select Option 1 If Not 2 (then enter the Virgin Media Home Number or press # then tap in Virgin Media Account Number
STEP 4: Select Option 4 - To Make Changes To Your Package Or Tell Us You Are Moving
STEP 5: Select Option 4 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us
STEP 6: Select Option 2 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us For Any Other Reason

UK Call Centre Times:
Mon - Fri 8am - 9pm
Sat - Sun - 9am - 6pm
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Sabtain7

Thank you for letting me know about your experience am I right in saying you called retentions to upgrade?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Yes you are correct

If I Have Tried To Help You Hope It Helps:
I am fairly knowledgeable about technology in general and will try to help you to the best of my ability.

Sky World Customer (TV), Virgin Media Fibre Optic Gig1; Virgin Media Phone Package

Want To Contact Virgin Media's UK Call Centre?
Here's How:
STEP 1: Dial 150 (Virgin Landline) or 0345 454 1111 (Non Virgin Phone)
STEP 2: Option 1 for TV, Broadband or Home Phone

STEP 3: If The Number You Are Calling From Belongs To Your Virgin Media Account Select Option 1 If Not 2 (then enter the Virgin Media Home Number or press # then tap in Virgin Media Account Number
STEP 4: Select Option 4 - To Make Changes To Your Package Or Tell Us You Are Moving
STEP 5: Select Option 4 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us
STEP 6: Select Option 2 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us For Any Other Reason

UK Call Centre Times:
Mon - Fri 8am - 9pm
Sat - Sun - 9am - 6pm
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Sabtain7

I have not had the same experience, I have spoken to two different members of the retention team now and on both occasions, they have told me that Gig1 requires an engineer visit, there is no possible way around it....

You must have struck gold with the member of staff that sent you the hub4 and upgraded your account.

Take care.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I'm on Gig1 in Southampton, and they simply sent me out a Hub 4, and return box for Hub 3. Was self install for me!

0 Kudos