cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone listen these days?

almark
On our wavelength

Does anyone listen these days? Sadly, in my recent experience, no. I am paying for Virgin 1GiG. Up to recently the broadband has been superb, with average speeds of 1140Mbps, and at one time 1900Mbps! But recently that has fallen to a mere 90Mbps. Less than a tenth of what I have been getting before over ethernet. I rebooted the Superhub4, reset and rebooted, over and over again. Still just 90 over ethernet. I sought help.

I contacted Virgin help, via email, and explained the above, (only getting 90 over ethernet, used to get over 1000, I had done the reboot, then rest and reboot). I tell them I think my router needs replacing, as this has happened once before, since going on the 1GiG service. I got a standard boilerplate answer thanking me for contacting them, reminding me what a wonderful service Virgin Media provides and suggesting I should switch off and on and again.

I remind them that I have done this.
Get another boilerplate reply suggesting I should do a reset.
I remind them that I have done this.
Get another boilerplate on how I can speed up my wifi
I remind them I am talking about ethernet.
Get another boilerplate suggested that wifi booster might help.
I remind them I am talking about ethernet.
Get another boilerplate reply suggesting I should do a reset.
I'm getting annoyed and frustrated and suggest that they have not read my initial complaint and please this to a supervisor to arrange an engineer to come and replace my router.
Get a reply saying they can't help any further and that I need to telephone for some help

Contact Virgin Help by phone. I explain things making an emphasis on ETHERNET. (only get 90 over ethernet, used to get over 1000, I had done the reboot, then rest and reboot). I tell them I think my router needs replacing, as this has happened once before, since going on the 1GiG service.
Yes, you have guessed it. I am advised to reboot my router. Done that! I say.
I am advised to reset my router, Done that! I say.
I am advised on tips to improve wifi. I remind them I am talking about Ethernet.
I am advised to use wifi boosters!
I remind them that only getting 90 over ethernet and that I used to get over 1000, I had done the reboot, then rest and reboot.
Diagnostics are done over the fibre, all things are good, they say. But they aren't, I'm only getting 90 over ethernet and I used to get over 100 and that is what I am paying for. I ask to speak to a supervisor and suggest my router needs replacing, as this has happened once before, since going on the 1GiG service. Sadly, I am advised that my account will be monitored, looking for anomalies in speed over the next 24 hrs and then someone will get back to me.

No one gets back to me.

I ring to cancel my account with Virgin. They are in clear breach of contract. I am transferred to the 'why are you leaving team' and I relate all above.

They run a diagnostic and detect I have a Superhub4 and should have a Superhub5 for my 1Gig service. I relate that the install guy didn't have any 5's on the day and upgraded my 3 to 4. And that after a few months, the 4 had started to smell a bit fishy and had to be replaced, which is why I have been asking for an engineer to come out and replace my router, I explain, almost completely exasperated.

We can't just send out an engineer, we have to follow protocol. As you are not beside your computer equipment, I will have to do a follow-up. Run diagnostics again while I am present. I ask, why is this necessary when my superhub4 has been replaced before as a result of being pushed too hard by the 1 Gig service (according to the engineer)? And, I add, you have admitted that I should have a superhiub5 for my 1Gig service.

Protocol and processes, I am told. So, I await a call tomorrow, Sunday 20 August 2023.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@almark wrote:

Up to recently the broadband has been superb, with average speeds of 1140Mbps, and at one time 1900Mbps! But recently that has fallen to a mere 90Mbps. Less than a tenth of what I have been getting before over ethernet. I rebooted the Superhub4, reset and rebooted, over and over again. Still just 90 over ethernet. I sought help.

Contact Virgin Help by phone. I explain things making an emphasis on ETHERNET. (only get 90 over ethernet, used to get over 1000, I had done the reboot, then rest and reboot). 

Protocol and processes, I am told. So, I await a call tomorrow, Sunday 20 August 2023.

When the speed drops to 100 or lower on a Gig1 wired connection it's generally either an issue with the ethernet cable, hub port, or NIC card 

It's interesting to see that you managed to obtain average speeds of 1140Mbps, and at one time 1900Mbps using a hub 4 when the most you should be able to get with a hub 4 is around 940.   Are you also using a third party router?

Please post a screenshot of the speed results using https://samknows.com/realspeed/ 

Have you tried a different ethernet cable?  Also try a different ethernet port on your hub.

You should also check the NIC card/adapter settings as that may have changed and no longer be set to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex

Press the Windows key and type in Control Panel. Then open the Control panel and select Device Manager.

Under Network Adapters select your ethernet card (eg Realtek Family Controller) Then right click it and select the Properties option. In the box that opens select .Advanced and scroll down to Speed & Duplex.  Then on the right set the value to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex.

It might also be a good idea to check your drivers are up to date under Network Adapters select your ethernet card (eg Realtek Family Controller) and right click it and select the Update Driver.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Guess they don't want to add skip when talking about Ethernet in their script😞 why? because we must be wrong they think and it must be talking about wifi problem and Ooo look we can sell then pods🤑 

Whats your link speed show in windows for the NIC?

---------------------------------------------------------------

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@almark wrote:

Up to recently the broadband has been superb, with average speeds of 1140Mbps, and at one time 1900Mbps! But recently that has fallen to a mere 90Mbps. Less than a tenth of what I have been getting before over ethernet. I rebooted the Superhub4, reset and rebooted, over and over again. Still just 90 over ethernet. I sought help.

Contact Virgin Help by phone. I explain things making an emphasis on ETHERNET. (only get 90 over ethernet, used to get over 1000, I had done the reboot, then rest and reboot). 

When the speed drops to 100 or lower on a Gig1 wired connection it's generally either an issue with the ethernet cable, hub port, or NIC card 

It's interesting to see that you managed to obtain average speeds of 1140Mbps, and at one time 1900Mbps using a hub 4 when the most you should be able to get with a hub 4 is around 940.   Are you also using a third party router?

Please post a screenshot of the speed results using https://samknows.com/realspeed/ 

Have you tried a different ethernet cable?  Also try a different ethernet port on your hub.

You should also check the NIC card/adapter settings as that may have changed and no longer be set to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex

Press the Windows key and type in Control Panel. Then open the Control panel and select Device Manager.

Under Network Adapters select your ethernet card (eg Realtek Family Controller) Then right click it and select the Properties option. In the box that opens select .Advanced and scroll down to Speed & Duplex.  Then on the right set the value to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex.

It might also be a good idea to check your drivers are up to date under Network Adapters select your ethernet card (eg Realtek Family Controller) and right click it and select the Update Driver.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

almark
On our wavelength

BQM 92Mbps, the other link would nt open.

almark
On our wavelength

Thank you for your detailed answer. I'm on a mMac and getting 1148 on the router and 92 on the device.

I'll change the ethernet cable again, although I have already done this twice.

almark
On our wavelength

I changed to a brand new ethernet cable and still getting 1144 on the router and only 93 on the mac, using Realspeed.

almark
On our wavelength

Just ran real speed on my MacBook, new ethernet cable. 1101 at the router 56 at the MacBook 

almark
On our wavelength

UPDATE:
After over two weeks of faffing about with Virgin Help(‽) about my broadband speed over ethernet, they have agreed to post me out a new router. A SuperHub5, which they admitted I should have got, when I upgraded to the 1GiG service.

Sadly, it took two weeks for them to arrive at this obvious decision. It was what I was telling them from the beginning. Wonderful speeds to the router, and then crippled by a malfunctioning router before it could get to my device. If only help support staff would listen.