Menu
noeth
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone have a relaible contact for VM to get things sorted?

I joined VM for 500mb broadband in February (after they had just installed into our estate). I've not yet got a speed of anything like that and I get passed from pillar to post. The connection I get (usually <10mb and drops completely several times a day) is obviously not fit for purpose. Everyone agreed there is a fault and they agreed that I didn't need to pay for services until it was sorted. However, every month I get billed and every month I have to try and negotiate with customer services to get the bill waived. However, nearly every month they muck it up. I've just received a bill for this month and last month, plus a late payment charge.

The thing I really want is to get my broadband sorted - the VM construction team have told me Openreach need to come. I've had various VM engineers and contractors from Avonline come but none of them can sort it out. They are indicating damaged fibre, which I assume is why the construction team are involved. But no-one ever comes other than the install engineers when clearly a dig is needed.

0 Kudos
chaoshusky
Dialled in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does anyone have a relaible contact for VM to get things sorted?

Interesting...OpenReach you say? Well, that's BT's fiber monopoly, i assumed Virgin had their own.. Hmm.. Do you have any other neighbours with a Virgin supply having similar issues? And you do have a Virgin Router that's fed via co-ax, correct?

In my case, i had gone up to 500Mbit, but i was still getting my old speed - i had to toggle my hub back to Router mode to grab the new config file then switch back to Modem and it worked. This likely won't help you but you're getting lower than 10mbit?! You'd get faster on 4G mobile, nevermind 5G! Heck, even 3G can be faster than that...yikes!

Kind regards, maybe cancel your Direct Debit until things are sorted and let your 'bill' go up, after all there's plenty of evidence for you to point out you were promised no bills until its actually working like it should! The worst they can do is cut off your service after two months of missed payment - from the sounds of it though you wouldn't miss it too much!

Lee

0 Kudos
Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi noeth,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Community Forum. I'm really sorry that you've had this issue, this is far from the kind of service that we want to provide.

I'd like to look into this issue for you. I'll just need to confirm some details with you via Private Message. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your page.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@chaoshusky wrote:

Interesting...OpenReach you say? Well, that's BT's fiber monopoly, i assumed Virgin had their own..<snip>

Kind regards, maybe cancel your Direct Debit until things are sorted and let your 'bill' go up, after all there's plenty of evidence for you to point out you were promised no bills until its actually working like it should! The worst they can do is cut off your service after two months of missed payment - from the sounds of it though you wouldn't miss it too much!  <snip>

OpenReach are a separate Company from BT.  They are fibre installers only and are used by many other Companies besides BT, e.g. Sky, TalkTalk etc.

VM have their own Fibre installation, Project Lighting, which is RFOG to the property.

Also, withholding payment will, most likely, lead to a bad Credit rating and monies owed passed to a Debt Collection Agency for action.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

noeth
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response.

On this estate they are using Openreach’s trucking to push through their fibre, so I suspect the issue is where the trunking has been broken and VM have rammed their fibre in regardless and caused it to damage. But I’m just guessing. My neighbours have no issues but I’ve got a separate spur to my house which seems to be constantly dug up by the power company and water board so I suspect it just keeps getting crushed.

The router is useless, for sure, but my max speed ever is 40mb and it’s usually at single digits. The local engineers etc are great but there seems to be an issue to escalate this up the line.

The router settings are a mindfield to be honest but all the engineers have told me to leave well alone. I do have an IT degree but I don’t want to be accused of being the cause of the problems!

The latest bill has been waived now (fingers crossed) and hopefully eventually someone will contact me regarding my complaint from February! Haha.

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi wrote:

@chaoshusky wrote:

Interesting...OpenReach you say? Well, that's BT's fiber monopoly, i assumed Virgin had their own..<snip>

Kind regards, maybe cancel your Direct Debit until things are sorted and let your 'bill' go up, after all there's plenty of evidence for you to point out you were promised no bills until its actually working like it should! The worst they can do is cut off your service .

Also, withholding payment will, most likely, lead to a bad Credit rating and monies owed passed to a Debt Collection Agency for action.

@chaoshusky Cutting you off is not the worst thing they can do if you cancel your direct debit. As @Adduxi has said it can mess up your credit rating. We often see people here complaining they are struggling to get a mortgage or other credit because they cancelled their VM direct debit when money was still owed.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
noeth
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yep, I work in financial services. So I won't be (and can't) withold payment as it will affect my employment. This is just an added reason why I was annoyed to see it incorrectly recorded as a late/unpaid payment when I had been told by customer services that it was all sorted. The girl today was great and has said she'll call me in 48 hours to confirm that it's all gone through and I'm finally reset back to zero. However, I've been given promises before, so not holding my breath. Someone from VM has private messaged me so hopefully we can get things moving. Thanks for your responses all!

0 Kudos
chaoshusky
Dialled in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well it didn't answer the OpenReach strangeness, but that also explains why my credit score has randomly gone down! Wow...something needs to be done about that! But who is responsible for messing with your credit score, the bank? A while back uSwitch told me to cancel my DD with previous energy provider ready for the new one, only for it to fail and i ended up owing BG some money, then my score went down! Mystery solved!

So basically you -have- to let them take it then mess around for it back? Ridiculous! Though they did just do me a rather large favour so now i have to find the thread.

Anyway, have you had any recent updates? A gaming friend of mine, he's been having issues for well over a year with his ISP (not Virgin) and Open Reach are involved...similar problems with intermittent connection, lost packets, massive lag spikes etc.. They also say its something to do with the local cabinet but it does seem like Open Reach don't want to spend the money to fix any problems, so i'm hoping you don't end up in the same boat with them trying to swap blame all the time!

And, if you've been privately messaged, yes that's a good sign! I was earlier today...and didn't think much of it being asked for my name and secret phrase etc.. I check my bank a couple of hours ago and they had reversed the charge! I literally get paid in..4 hours? So i'll sort it then! I really hope they get to the bottom of the fault dude, it shouldn't cost you anything if an engineer has damaged a fiber cable but they are VERY expensive! An old friend's employer was a building contractor, who had direct fiber installed to his home! All was well until he pulled it too tightly around a corner, breaking the fiber! It cost him around 10 grand to have it installed and a further few grand for repair, fortunately i think they were able to laser/splice it back together without replacing the whole length...yikes!

0 Kudos
hortonj88
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

"the VM construction team have told me Openreach need to come"

Did they say this as a response to you reporting slow speeds? If so you're being fobbed off.

Virgin Media's network is completely independent to any Openreach networks.

You were told that just to get you off the phone.

As for your direct debit, it's your right to cancel it as you see fit but you should make the payment via the automated payment line if you owe money.

Canceling a direct debit alone isn't a reason to report a default to the credit reference agencies.

My parents pay for their virgin services manually, no direct debit and have done for many years.

You just need to remember your bill due dates and pay when it's due.

Previously M200 (Left due to utilisation)

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png
0 Kudos
noeth
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As I've said above, VM are using Openreach's trunking here so I suspect that is what the issue is. This was over e-mail when their phone lines were closed and they've confirmed it multiple times since. As the pavement outside still has temporary tarmac on it, I'm definitely expecting that something needs to happen out there. We'll see.

The speed issue is now a lot better after an engineer unregistered and re-registered my router, still not 500mb though on any device. However, we still have this intermittent complete drop-out - 7 times during waking hours yesterday. This seems to be what is baffling them the most. It makes trying to work from home, or streaming a TV programme, almost impossible.

0 Kudos