Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Does Vivid 200 work on Superhub 2

Hi I upgraded to the V6 box and 200 meg broadband with the superhub 3a couple of years ago and my Xbox One wireless controllers are continually disconnecting since we made the change. After not using the xbox for a while I just left it and carried on using them with a usb cable. I recently got back on the xbox after getting Modern Warfare and Fifa 20 for christmas and the wireless controllers are still disconnecting. Now here is my problem. Before we got the v6 and 200 meg the xbox was fine and I never had a problem. My thoughts are I still have the superhub 2 in the loft and was thinking of going back to that to see if it will fix the connection problem can I just change them over or would I have to ask VM to do it?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does Vivid 200 work 4on Superhub 2

You would need to persuade technical support to change it over. Some will do it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does Vivid 200 work on Superhub 2

There's some very good reasons for not going back to a Superhub 2, such as fewer channels make it far more prone to any area congestion problems, the latent faults in the Puma chipset were never fixed in SH2 firmware (whereas the Hub 3 was), and you're going back to a ten year old piece of kit which has implications for reliability.  So before you try to have the Superhub 2 reactivated, it might be worth making sure that you've full exhausted the possibilities to fault find and optimise the wifi from the Hub 3.

Within the Hub3's settings have you renamed the 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless bands (SSID) each with their own unique names (and then always connect to the 5 GHz band if the device can see it), and have you turned off "channel optimisation"?  Have you downloaded a Wifi Analyzer app and checked for multiple or strong competing signals in the 2.4 GHz band - if there are, you'd need to manually choose a 2.4 GHz channel, but only from channels 1, 6 or 11.  The 5 GHz channel can usually be left to its own devices as the underlying technology is better.

If that doesn't help, then before committing to SH2 reactivation consider whether you'd be prepared to buy your own router or mesh system to completely replace the Hub 3's utterly mediocre wireless functions. As you've not mentioned this, I assume that spending £200 on the latest and greatest top-end router isn't an attractive idea, but there's still some good mid price options.  For a smaller property a reasonable standalone router something like this fifty quid Asus router would be good, or you could consider a budget mesh wifi system.  Be aware these solutions do different things - a standalone router should offer more reliable performance than a Hub 3, should optimise speeds for individual devices and if you're lucky you may get better range.  A mesh system is intended to deliver good reliable wifi across a wider area, but the peak speeds at a device will be constrained to "only" 50-100 Mbps.  Other faster mesh systems are available, I selected this one purely on the basis of low cost and reasonable ratings.  I use a TP-Link Deco M4 mesh system myself, and I'm really pleased with that, but it is more expensive than the Tenda Nova device I linked to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

the question is is this a hub3 problem or a wifi problem - the fact the SH2 worked a year ago may not have relevance today - wifi environments can change over night 

you can try  and convince them to re activate the SH2 - its always an uphill battle but thats up to you

but hers something else to try - get the SH2 out of the loft and connect it to a pc - before you do that turn off access to the hub3 on that pc - log into the SH2 - 192.168.0.1 and enter the password and change its ip address 192.168.0.100 or similar - then turn off DHCP - save that and unplug it from the pc

now plug the SH2 into one of the ports on the hub3 and power up - give internet access on the pc back to the hub3

you now have the wifi on the SH2 working or should have and can use it on whatever device - you also have the 3 remaining ports on the SH2 working

if that solves you wifi problem on the devices that were flaky then job solved

Tony
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

RE Andruser's comment.

I still use the SH2 on V200 package - albeit it has been in modem mode since day 0 and I (of course) have never had a single wifi issue and get a solid 220mbps on the 5GHz band.

Re the Puma chipset - I thought the SH2 has the Puma5 set (not Puma6) - see link - and hence not subject to the latency issues?

https://www.experimental-engineering.co.uk/virgin-media-superhub-2-teardown/

In any case, my lad is a "semi-pro" ( 🙂 ) gamer and has NEVER complained about latency/lag or whatever - and that is over Solwise power adapters and short Cat6 cables up in his room.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

According to reports Puma 5 supposed to have the issue too but no-one on the SH2 has reported anything apart from increasing latency when hub has been running for a few days (which I've noticed too).

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/14/intel_puma_modem/
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for the replies looks like I am just going to stick with the usb cables for now until my controllers stop working and I can replace them. Have changed channels on the router a few times and it has improved slightly so looks like a case of trial and error until I am happy 😁😁😁

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Or put the Hub3 into modem mode and get your own decent router and wifi equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

jbrennand: Re the Puma chipset - I thought the SH2 has the Puma5 set (not Puma6) - see link - and hence not subject to the latency issues?

The Puma 6 had materially worse issues, but the Puma 5 had problems as well.  The example in this link is DDOS which for residential customers is only normally an issue for sad sacks that have made a few online enemies, but note carefully that's only an easy example and a range of other causes would trigger it, even including LAN traffic.  I can't say whether Intel, Arris and VM ever truly fixed the original problem that affected all Puma chips, but they certainly fixed the worse one that afflicted the Puma 6/Hub 3.  I believe there was a fix for the DDOS scenario, whether that really sorted the underlying fault I've no idea.

As VM are now handing out secondhand Hub 3's (with the bodily fluids wiped off) I'd hesitate to recommend you "upgrade" now, and with the Hub 4 looking like another beta grade podge up, you're probably best waiting until VM are handing out Hub 4 as standard and they've nailed the many teething faults that are apparent in these forums.  So the question is, will you have Openreach FTTP before about 2023 when VM might have fixed the Hub 4?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Andruser.
But in the "real world" now - why wouldn't a VM Customer - who likes to game - not accept a Hub3 and use it in modem mode - assuming they have a supply of Dettox wipes of course 🙂 .

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos