Menu
mpitts
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Does 5 x Static IPs slow the connection or cause other issues?

One of my connections is currently Voom 500 on a dynamic IP and everything is working fine. (Modem mode on Hitron through to Dell SonicWall TZ400).

However I could really do with a static IP. When we received the Hitron router we were told that if we need to run it in Modem mode with static IP it would have to be configured for 5 x static IPs (not 1), which is ok.

A long difficult conversation with VMB yesterday didn't exactly fill me with confidence, nobody seemed to really understand my questions, and nobody from "Tech" was available to speak to. So I thought I'd check here before changing over to 5 static IPs.

Earlier posts here show that people were having big problems with the static IPs on Hitron due to the GRE tunnels (eg see https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/GRE-tunnel-endpoint-IPs/m-p/3683479 ).

Have these issues ever been resolved?

Is anyone using 5 x Static IPs on a Hitron with Voom 500?

And if so are you still getting 500d/35up? And have you had any hassles?

I can only change over if it's pretty much hassle free with no compromises.

Would appreciate feedback from anyone with direct experience of this.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does 5 x Static IPs slow the connection or cause other issues?

I can't see how 5 statics would have any affect on the connection whatsoever. But others will set the record straight soon I am sure.
0 Kudos
mpitts
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

In most scenarios that would be true, but VM seem to have a very convoluted way of creating a "static IP". They actually route everything through a GRE VPN tunnel to their business datacentre. I can find lots of people complaining that this routing slows things down massively (eg 350Mbps down to 55Mbps).

I guess I'm optimistically hoping that someone will step in and say "all those problems have been fixed now and everything just works at full speed with no setup hassles"...

I don't really get how they can advertise it if it doesn't work.

Voom500ad2.JPG

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Firstly you can't run in modem mode with statics, you'll have to use router mode.

Secondly it seems to vary depending on the software version on the Hitron. 

I distrust it to the point where I pay a third party for static IPs and IPv6. 

The dynamic IP is pretty sticky though. I've not had an IP change in nearly 2 years. 

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@mpitts wrote:

In most scenarios that would be true, but VM seem to have a very convoluted way of creating a "static IP". They actually route everything through a GRE VPN tunnel to their business datacentre. I can find lots of people complaining that this routing slows things down massively (eg 350Mbps down to 55Mbps).

I guess I'm optimistically hoping that someone will step in and say "all those problems have been fixed now and everything just works at full speed with no setup hassles"...

I don't really get how they can advertise it if it doesn't work.

Voom500ad2.JPG

LOL as if....

No the issues are not sorted out, using a static IP the VM way cripples your speed. Pretty easy to workaround, but a workaround should not be required.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This is how I get around it - https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/l2tp-service/

A month and a half to go before VMB leaves the building.

0 Kudos
mpitts
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I know there are workarounds, but tbh I only want to use stuff that "just works"; the less hassle these things are to setup then generally speaking the less hassle they are to maintain.

The office in question has BT FTTC (at 45Mbps / 12 Mbps) as well as VMB Voom 500. I was hoping to switch the static services over from the BT connection to the VMB to take advantage of the improved bandwidth. But given the feedback above I think I'll just leave well alone!

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Agreed. I use a hybrid approach that's way more complicated than it needs to be because VMB doesn't work. Looking forward to the new property where a decent upload is available and the new service provider will take care of such things for me so my solution goes back where it should be: my lab, not production. 

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I should mention a decent upload via VMB would alleviate some of it but those lovely people provide a better service to residential customers so not feasible. 

0 Kudos
louis-m
Up to speed
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I've got 5 statics using GRE on Voom 350.

Never hit 350mb. The most I've ever got was 250mb and normally down at 150mb - 200mb.

Upload however is a constant 20mb always.

0 Kudos