cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do virgin deliberately just waste your time with offers?

Adrian1976
On our wavelength

Receive an offer in the email to upgrade my package for £4 if I signed a new 18 month contract, That's fine, Proceed to order last Thursday and still nothing other than confirmation of new speed increase and contract in email.

Today speed hasn't changed so speak to customer services on live chat to be told the offer was for new customers only lol.

How can it be new customers only when I am receiving the email asking if I am happy with my current speed and to boost my speed to 1gb/s from 500mb/s for an extra £4.

Screenshot attached from email, Does this look like an email for new customers lol.

Continuously wasting people's time.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 132721.png

38 REPLIES 38

Cardiffman282
Super solver

There is a clear trend here. It smells like bait and switch to me which is unlawful

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Funny you should say that as after the Agent in live chat said the offer was not accepted he proceeded to say if I still want it he could do it for an extra approx £11 / Month

Needless to say I said no and you're right it is bait and switch.

yeah your right in what your saying, ill ring vm today sort it out but wont fall for there tricks thats for sure, I also have a major problem when phoning them they cant understand a word i say, of course being a geordie is hard to understand but I think vm made a massive mistake on there call centres being in bloody asia instead of the uk, its like bashing your head against a brick wall 

Yes I must admit some of the call centre staff are not helpful at all.

In their defence, I would submit that they simply aren’t properly trained, or, indeed trained at all other than to read through and slavishly follow a script presented on the screen in front of them. In the event of your issue not being covered by said script, then it certainly wouldn’t surprise me to discover that they are either left to their own devices, or are ‘strongly encouraged’ to simply lie! Not that there will be anything in writing to confirm this!

I would suspect the staff turnover in said call centres rivals that of Russian troops on the front line in Ukraine!

I would like to make it clear, that the call centre staff are NOT VM employees, and neither does VM have too much control over them. VM outsource their support to, presumably, the lowest bidder, and although I’m sure, there are ‘certain standards’ included in the contract, whether or not adherence to these are checked or enforced, well who can say?

Which

@Adrian1976 wrote:

Funny you should say that as after the Agent in live chat said the offer was not accepted he proceeded to say if I still want it he could do it for an extra approx £11 / Month

Needless to say I said no and you're right it is bait and switch.

Which, as mentioned above, is actually illegal and something which, I’m sure various regulatory bodies might well want to take a look at!

But what I really don’t understand is the argument that ‘this is for new customers only’, the offer clearly talks about an ‘upgrade’ which implies someone who already has a contract on certain terms and is offering, well, an upgrade to their existing contract, so, hence, they can’t be a new customer.

You know, if this were to ever get in front of a Court, VM will be crucified!

I’ve said it before but VM’s marketing people are simply out of control. They are pushing out campaigns offering all sorts without bothering to make sure that the rest of the company are aware of them, or are even possible or affordable, and when pushed, the company are resorting to lying or engaging in (possibly) illegal activities to cover for them.

well if they dont honour the contract I have with them then I have no choice but to go down the legal road, I do think with everything vm related they have all forgot about the actual united kindom laws over contracts here in the uk, if you look at things if a vm customer breaks there contract with them they will move heaven and earth to get there paws on the money owned, I think a class action law suit meaning a body of vm customers get together to fight this they will have no legs to stand on and just imagine how much in compensation they would have to pay out including court fees and fines along with the news getting out on social media ie facebook, twitter, instagram, ect ect along with the news agencies also I dont think the british government would take it on how british citizens being cheated via legal biding contracts 

Yeah an increasingly common sentiment on here. There is indeed a sense that VM regards itself as somehow above the laws and regulations that govern every other business in the UK. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

ive kept to every contract ive had with virgin media over the past decades, with vm being american owned I do think they get confused about the united kingdoms laws on contracts and considering theres nearly 16 million  customers here in the uk vm are in for trouble at some point really if they dont abide by there own contracts they have with valued customers who have been with them since blueyonder days gone by, ive also read a little on this fttp super fast broadband and theres many networks and telecoms are into this now so if vm does not pull there fingers out and make there services cheaper or even same prices then there could be millions heading towards others to get a much better deal, it will only be there own fault and down to greed in the end

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@geordiemark  I know you are upset about this, but you need to be realistic.

For a class action you need to collect a large number of people who have each suffered a sufficient financial loss to make a court case viable for a team of lawyers. That isn't going to happen.

You can use social media, but VM already has a poor reputation. It's at the bottom of the table on Trustpilot, so you can't add much there.

You mention the government. I think they have bigger issues at the moment. Although the regulator OFCOM does have an investigation open. 

If you are really dissatisfied with Virginmedia, check the Openreach website to see when they will have FTTP in your area. They are building rapidly. And check the smaller fibre companies too. I will be moving to an Openreach supplier when my current VM contract finishes, as others have already done. 

I'll leave it there.  

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.