Menu
Dancow
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Distinct drop in Download speed

Recently had a series of drop outs. Paying for 350 and experienced serious game glitch on PS4. Upon checking in only getting 40-45 mbps. I usually get between 150- 290 hard wires to console. Getting buffering on Netflix too recently. Also hardwired TV to hub. Tried switch on and off works temporarily (like one or two games worth) then drops again. Also reset hub from pinhole on back whilst onto virgin. Nothing on my setup has changed. Was being transferred to another department on the call I was on (over an hour) and low and behold I was cut off! 😡 Any advice please before I try again to get hold of the blessed experts? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Distinct drop in Download speed

Can you carry out a couple of speed tests at speedtest.net using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected.

Ensure that the Network Interface Card (NIC) drivers are up to date.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Dancow
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike will try and report back 👍🏼

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/ . Don't log in, select the 'Check Router Status' option and paste your 'Downstream', 'Upstream', and 'Network Log' tabs?

At least we can check the stats to rule out an issue with the line.

Dancow
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Trying this now, could not get into router without a password and there wasn’t an option to log in or not 🤷🏼‍♂️

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dancow, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your connection looked into, I am sorry its becoming frustrating for you when all you want to do is relax on a game for a few hours 😞 would you be able to answer some of these questions for me please?

• How is your PC/console connected to the internet?
  • Do all devices have slow buffering like when you stream Netflix or load something on Social Media? 
  • Would you be able to do a speed test here - virg.in/speedtest – so we can see how your wired connection is performing please? 
  • Also, can you do a reboot of your HUB at the back of the box (not the mains) and set up a BMQ test over the next 24 hours so we can visually see whats going on.
  • Last question, which game are you playing? And does your stuttering only happen whilst playing this game? The reason why I ask is that sometimes the game servers can be laggy if its an online game so I'd like to eliminate this from our list 🙂

Thanks so much in advance for doing all of this!

Megan_L

Dancow
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Okay I’ve got screenshots of all the router status however I can’t upload on here as they’re too big to post! What a **bleep** show. The network log states lots of errors and critical messages. I did however get home early today and ran 4 speed tests on my PS4 and the all came back in the 320’s mbps right where it should be so perhaps my issue is resolved!?! 🤞🏼

0 Kudos
Dancow
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi wise owl, for some reason things are better today. Speedtests returning at 383 down and 36 up on Mac. I got home early from work and got 320+ from my PS4. Perhaps the issue has resolved itself? Tuesday and Wednesday had problems. Even after reset and call to customer services. Will find out tonight when I get gaming 🤷🏼‍♂️

0 Kudos
Dancow
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan, thanks for getting in touch. I’ve tried the Speedtest on my PS4 earlier today and it came back 4 times in the 320’s which is great. Tuesday to Thursday there was massive fluctuation. From 280 I think down to 44 which made Netflix skip on our hard wired tv and the call of duty game I was playing unplayable. At 1st I thought it could have been game lag however my pal just round the corner from me on Virgin also had no issues. I tried to reset 4 or 5 times and each time after waiting the allotted time for it to come back online it initially gave me decent 250+speeds but less than a game later dropped back to low 40’s. I’m hoping that’s not due to traffic/sharing otherwise it’s no good to me. After reading a response on here I looked at my network log which shows lots of error and critical messages back as far as 08/07/2020. I’m not sure what it all means. Having said all of this it appears to be okay at the moment but I would like to know what has happened? 

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Dancow, 

that sounds hopeful! *touch wood* 

If you do experience the issues again, go back to my questions and let me know the answers then I can try troubleshooting 🙂

But fingers crossed you can relax tonight by shouting at the TV because someone's cheating on your game haha 

Enjoy!

Megan_L