Menu
Corvus13
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Different Devices, Diferent Speeds.

Sat in front of the Hub3 (2 metres away) a Samsung S8, an S9 and Spouse's Ipad thingy all show 100Mps on the Virgin Speed Check. Browser doesn't make any difference.

My Samsung Tab A shows low 20's, the one device I actually use. Performance is 'laggy' and is driving me up the wall.

Don't know where to start. Any suggestions please. Cheers Tim. 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Different Devices, Diferent Speeds.

Are you connected to the 5Ghz band and not the 2.4Ghz band?

You can try splitting the bands as per instructions below 🙂

Type  http://192.168.0.1  into your URL address bar on your browser and login into the Hub with your chosen password or use the settings password on the Hubs sticker on the bottom of the Hub and set up the Hub with a new password. Then go to Advanced>Wireless>Smart Wi-Fi and tick the disable “channel optimisation” box if available in your router settings and save settings. Then go to Advanced>Wireless>Security and rename the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network SSID's.  Change them to whatever you like, for example JohnsVirgin_2 and JohnVirgin_5.  You can keep the same wi-fi passwords or use one of your choosing, then click apply settings and restart the Hub. Your two wi-fi networks will now be separated and you can select whichever network you want to connect too, for example the JohnsVirgin_2 (2Ghz) or JohnsVirgin_5 (5Ghz). The 2Ghz one has a greater range but has a slower speed and the 5Ghz one has less range but faster speeds. Be aware that some older devices will only see the 2.4Ghz SSID but most modern devices will come with 5Ghz capability.

Also please be aware that all your previously connected wireless devices will need to be connected again to your new SSID's with you new passwords or your old password if you decided to keep them.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
Corvus13
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Right Then! Time for Sunday Dinner! Will report back in due course. Cheers.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Corvus13,

Welcome to our Community Forum! Thank you so much for your first post! 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some performance and speed issues with your devices. I can see that @conman33158 provided some great advise on how to separate the Networks.

How is your connection doing at the moment? Please give us an update when you can. 

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Corvus13
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's looking like the Tab A. Tried another VM 100 at a different house  and it's a similar tale. The same S9 and a different Samsung Tablet show full speed whilst the Tab A is 20-30's. Very odd!

0 Kudos
lordoftime79
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Could be a firmware issue with that particular device... make sure its up to date.

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Corvus13, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your Galaxy Tab A's WIFI speed looked into, I am sorry if it's been causing some confusion seen as your other devices show okay speed!

Devices have different capabilities in terms of the max amount of mbps, it all depends on their specifications. 

I'll be honest, I'm not that knowledgeable in regards to tablet specs, but I believe the Tab A is capable of speeds over 100mbps.

I've taken a look at your in home WIFI and Hub specs on my side and can't see anything that would indicate an issue, plus seen as other devices get on just fine I am leaning towards the issue being with your Tab A itself. 

Like Lordoftime79 suggested, is the device all up to date?

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Corvus13
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Short of using the update software function i don't know what else to do as regards updates. Even then, from 100 to 20's is a considerable drop. To fall so far yet still work is strange in my experience. 

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the update, it may help to contact the maker of the devices customer service to see if there's anything they can recommend their side.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos