Menu
ryanb93
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Different Device Speeds.

So to keep it short and simple we recently upgraded from the virgin media hub 2 to the newer 3.0 ever since then i have had major issues with speeds on certain devices. So i open up the connected devices page in the router and 3 of the devices are being capped at 10 mbps and others have 100+.

Now the devices that are capped are ones i used the most where as the others are just random tablets but i have no idea how to remove this limitation as i never set it up in the first place just seems to have come there from default install and wasn't a issue with the 2.0 i have tried many google searches and looking at user manuals but cant seem to find anyone else having this isssue. 

If anymore information is needed i will reply as soon as i can.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Different Device Speeds.

there is nothing in the hub that would limit the speeds on some devices. are the devices wired or wireless connetions?

0 Kudos
ryanb93
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The main device is wired, the reason i assumed its the router is due the problem only started the day after we switched routers, the day before i was getting full speeds. But i am welcome to suggestions as i am not a tech expert by any standards. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The hub 3 in its default config uses the same SSID (network name) for both the 2.4 & 5 GHz radio bands. As a result devices can connect to either band. The 2.4 radio only has a 20Mhz channel width but better range, so while this is likely to give a stronger signal the bandwidth (& hence speed) is restricted. The 5Ghz can go up to 80Mhz, giving you 2 - 3 times the bandwidth, but the signal is far less robust. Also some older devices may only connect to 2.4.

Best advice is to log into your hub & rename one or both of the SSIDs. Then you can decide which radio band the devices connect too.

If you are talking wired devices don’t fall into the trap with measurements. Some devices measure in Megabytes, some in Megabits.

100 Mbps = 12.5 MBs (Megabytes)

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
ryanb93
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Its a wired device that's capped. Not wireless. Would the SSID affect that?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

change the network cable. If its damaged it might effect speeds

0 Kudos
ryanb93
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ok so i just ran a new cable and still getting the same speed cap.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

can't the the SH nothing on there that would limit speed. Start the PC in safemode and test again

0 Kudos
ryanb93
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Right so i booted the PC in Safe Mode with Networking ran the speed test and still 9 to 10 mbps.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

check what the network card is connecting at. its it connecting at 100/1000 or 10.
Make sure the network car drivers are all upto date

Failing that I'm out of ideas unless you have another network card to try

0 Kudos