cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Initial Connection Issue

hm155155
Joining in

Hi,

I am having sudden connection issues. I have a M350 line with superhub 5 router & emergency phone backup line.

In the last week, I have noticed whenever I open a new browser window, it is taking up to a minute to begin loading the page. This is happening in both Safari and Chrome. I have tried setting DNS settings to Google DNS, which didn't solve the issue. The only thing that solves the issue, is using a different wifi network!

I have tried restarting my computer, starting it in safe mode etc etc, renewing IP address, etc. The fact it works flawlessly when connected to a different network leads me to believe quite strongly that the issue is with my connection to Virgin Media.

The speed on speed tests I am getting, is roughly 350mpbs... however the issue seems to be getting that initial connection. 

Weirdly, ping is fast.

I am going to run some tests with developer tools in chrome to see if I can pinpoint which part of the exchange is the issue.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

UPDATE: Chrome developer tools is saying the request is getting stalled for 12 seconds, due to proxy negotiation. The minute the long proxy negotiation has happened, the speed is extremely fast to load. I do not have any active proxy or VPS running. It ONLY does this when connected to my virgin wifi. Any other wifi, it works without this issue. Any ideas?Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 18.16.44.png

6 REPLIES 6

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Which websites are you trying to visit?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

This is happening with any website I visit, on the first connection in that window. Once the connection is established, visiting further pages is not an issue. If I close the window, and re-open the page, it once again takes 12-14 seconds for the Proxy Negotiation. 

Something has gone wrong Virgins end, but I am unsure how to request they fix this.

Hi @hm155155 

Thanks for coming back to the thread.

I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John, I didn’t notice the issue until the emergency backup line was fitted. Not sure if it is causing connection negotiation issues? Thanks

Client62
Legend

Check for issues in your street via 0800 561 0061 ?

HUB Signal Level Checks

Via http://192.168.0.1/ connect to the Hub, do not login in, scroll down to "Check router status"

Using the Hub's "Check router status" tabs check the Downstream and Upstream power levels are in spec.

Downstream Power Levels of -7 to +7 dBmV are preferred, +10dBmV is the max acceptable, with a SNR of 33dB or higher across all DOCSIS 3.0 channels. Rising error counts across many channels is a current service noise fault.

Upstream
Power Levels of 35 to 49 dBmV are preferred, with QAM 64 Modulation mode across four to six DOCSIS 3.0 channels.  Seeing QAM 32/16 is a current service noise fault.

Hi @hm155155 

Thanks for joining me on PM and confirming me your address so I could book the tech in for the downstream power levels. The visit will soon be visible in your online account. You can amend/cancel it if needs be.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill